1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heather Angel's Photo Insight

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by daft_biker, Mar 15, 2011.

1. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

In the AP dated 19/3/11 Heather Angel said, on page 19, "I used an aperture of f/11 to ensure that all of the plant would be in focus" but the plant is clearly not all in focus.

I think the article would have been better without the bit that says she was trying to get it all sharp unless it was actually all sharp.

2. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I've now had chance to read the article you mentioned, and I really have to agree with you - there's no way that the featured large image shows the clover flower all in focus. Considering the eminence of both the photographer and the AP, and the nature of the article, this is a sad loss of attention to detail.

I also note that she used an F3, but there's no mention of what film was used.

3. Gemma_Padley

Gemma_Padley AP freelance

Thank you for bringing this oversight to our attention. The sentence would have been better phrased as: 'I used an aperture of f/11 to allow more of the
    plant to be in focus and ensure sharper detail in the clover' or words to that effect.

4. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Thanks for the response Gemma.

"I used f/11 because I felt like it."? To a macro shooter like myself words to that effect are a completely different thing to trying to get everything sharp.....nowt wrong with either approach but it's a bit like aiming for an omlette and ending up with scrambled eggs.

It's a good example of how darkening the background can work and an interesting subject.....it caught my eye for the right reasons I hope.

5. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

There's another issue too. By making the shadow the background effectively disappears and becomes black. Under those circumstances it really doesn't matter what the aperture is because the b/g can never become distracting because it's just not registering. She could have used a much smaller aperture, got more of the plant in focus and still lost the b/g through the exposure.

I've mentioned the 'shadow trick' a couple of times on this forum. Where do I send my invoice? ;);););)

MickLL