1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HDMI to Scart .. is it possible?

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by Rupert49, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Rupert49

Rupert49 Well-Known Member

I'm considering upgrading my TV and HD recorder soon, but not all at once. I shall probably replace the HD recorder first and then eventually the TV.

These days all recorders seem to have an HDMI socket, but no Scart. My CRT TV only has Scart connections.

Is there such a thing as an HDMI>Scart adaptor? I appreciate that the final picture/sound quality will be governed by the lowest tech link in the chain, but I'm hoping that it might suffice until I buy a new TV.

2. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

Yes, there are lots, cables converters etc. You're near to Maplin so pop round and have a look!

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Actually, I think the answer is no.
    HDMI was designed as a secure connection for both audio and video to prevent pirating of movie sound tracks or ripping of content. Having an adaptor from a supposedly secure system to an insecure one rather defeats the point of HDMI. That said, if you do find anything I would be interested to hear about it.

4. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Seems so, although have never had need of one myself. For example - clicky.

Would've though it would take a bit more than a cable to convert digital HDMI signals to analogue SCART signals.

5. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

You mean like this? :rolleyes:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HDMI-To-S...?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item2a221aac54

6. Rupert49

Rupert49 Well-Known Member

Thanks Everyone .. I shan't be needing it just yet, but it's good to know that it can be done!