1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you ever developed a roll of film?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Damien_Demolder, Oct 1, 2007.

1. pilliwinks

pilliwinks Well-Known Member

Hundreds in fact, starting in the 1950's with (I think) Verichrome Pan 120, then 620, then 35mm using FP3 and PanF.

I started with Johnson's "Pactum" MQ developer at 1/3d, and then settled on Unitol, which I used with FP3, HP3, PanF, Adox (the 20 ASA one), Panatomic X, Tri-X etc., etc.

My early colour was Ferannia CR50 (bulk loaded) using a reversal exposure. I much prefer the chemical way...

I admit I haven't developed anything since last month, but I have a couple of boxes of FP4 in 5x4 to develop this week. These days, I use Rodinal, but I have some pyro to try out.

2. carman

carman Well-Known Member

HP5, FP4, Pan F, Lith Film. Using D76, ID11, Acutol, Aculux. 35mm 120roll, 620 roll, Agfa slide. GAF 400 slide. I no longer have a dedicated darkroom. Just Lightroom.

3. d123

d123 Well-Known Member

You have a strange definition of "photographer".

I actually dont see your logic there, I'm a Photographer, which means I take photographs.

Especially when I was a pro-photographer I never saw the attraction in spending hours messing around with chemicals when that time could be better utilised either taking photos or drumming up new business.

I would be very surprised to hear of any of the top Pro's going out on a commission and then heading into the darkroom for the next 4 or 5 hours to develop the new portrait images of the Queen or the PM, just for example.
    I paid someone else to be the laboratory assistant (which ultimately what someone is who mixes and uses chemicals).

So, no, I don't develop photos, nor have I ever. But I am a photographer.

4. Woolliscroft

Woolliscroft Well-Known Member

No I don't think you need to dev film to be a photographer either. Printing your own pictures might be another matter though, as it makes such a big difference to the final result. Yes I know that fancy processing can also make quite a difference, but it's easy to give the specifics to the lab.

5. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

Yes, lots of them. Used to load my own cassettes too, from the waste left over from cine-camera runs in the lab.

Once, in a client company with no photo facilities, I developed a several-metre-long roll of film from a mirror galvanometer recorder in an enamel bucket in a cupboard under the office stairs. Does that count?

6. Rhys

Rhys Sasquatch

..now your just showing off there.. ;) :D

7. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Maybe it was showing off; but it still counts :mad:

8. mart1st

mart1st Well-Known Member

How many of you have a developing tank where you just drop the the whole lot into the tank, yes, film canister and all