1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you ever developed a roll of film?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Damien_Demolder, Oct 1, 2007.

1. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Does she "bench"

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Sadly not. :(

3. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

give her time...the dark art may soon come to her :D

4. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Of course i've developed a film. I'm damn near a pensioner and I'm a photographer, albeit an amateur. How could I have not developed a film?
    Verichrome Pan, Tri X, and then I discovered Velvia. With Velvia I just handed the film to the lab.
    Now a use a D200 and do my processing in the comfort of my drawing room at a computer, i.e when I am not b---s--------g on this forum.

5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Not yet... :(

6. zx9

zx9 Well-Known Member

I have been thinking of introducing mine ( children ) to photograms, as a pre curser to printing, might have a go at half term.

7. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

Thanks for the offer, I am allergic to cats sadly!

I should have a go really I know, I do have some darkroom equipment somewhere. Did actually buy some e6 dev chemicals but never got round to it. Still got a fair bit of film in the freezer, so might have a go.

8. Mr_Geoff

Mr_Geoff Well-Known Member

That's a shame but we have 3 cats so the hair does get everywhere...
    If you're missing any equipment let me know & I'll see what I can do.

9. Rhys

Rhys Sasquatch

Developed hundreds of films, nearly all at college several years ago. Both using spirals in hand-held tanks and 5x4 sheets in deep tanks. Done colour and slide as well, but that was a lot easier. Also used t have a washing line above the bath both for hanging films and for drying prints. Ah, thems was the days...

..now all I do is download my piccies off my CF card straight onto my computer. :D

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well worth it - kids love 'em.

11. Woolliscroft

Woolliscroft Well-Known Member

Bench? Not met that term before.

12. John_Hine

John_Hine Well-Known Member

I am surprised that one so young had heard of film or delevoping. Yes, did lots of film dev and print 1955 to 1985. Used to own the cloakroom / darkroom but was ejected when the kids got older. Then came a period when print films went to labs. Now I use Canon 400D for digi and 30V for slide film which I take to Metro here in Brum. Slide shows still essential. I still cling to my old tanks, graduates (measuring cylinders, not that kind of graduate), thermometers, clips for hanging films up to dry (who says dust problems started with digi sensors?).

13. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

50 years ago my friend and I developed a roll of black and white film and then made some enlarged prints in his darkroom (a converted bathroom). They turned out OK but we never repeated the experiment. I think we did it because we had come across an old enlarger and wanted to see if it worked. The mechanics of it all are a bit vague after so many years.

Everyting else went to Boots, or somewhere similar until I converted to Trannies and then eventually, much later, to digital.

In those days, before the MOT, we drove around in clapped out 1937 Autin tens and Jowett Javelins and the girls wore flared skirts and ankle socks. Oh those ankle socks....Just like a scene from 'Grease' :) :D

14. Benchmark

Benchmark Well-Known Member

I developed my first films back in the late 1970's, and still develop most of my own to this day.

For a while, I had my work photographs developed and scanned to CD at Boots - to save time really. But since I bought the E1 for work, I have reverted to developing nearly all of my own films - especially 120, which is not always easy to get processed without sending away.

I quite enjoy the developing process, but for me, the best bit is taking trannies out of the tank, and holding them up to the light for the first time. After thirty years that still feels good! :)

I used to print my own Cibachromes at one time, but ran out of money and patience! Just occasionally I got it all right, and the results were brilliant. :)

15. Benchmark

Wonderful memories........

BTW, do you know what happened to Reid’s of Guildford?

I used to go there for years when I lived in Surrey. They had a fantastic array of equipment, materials and chemistry, and then just disappeared without trace some time around 1990.

Polysales at Godalming had some wild and wonderful things too, but likewise, just disappeared from the radar screen. :(

16. Woolliscroft

Woolliscroft Well-Known Member

That thrill never quite goes away does it?

17. John_K

John_K Well-Known Member

You will have heard this before I am sure. Developed films since 1962. Never had a film 'trade processed at all over those years so that must ammount to several hundred rolls of 120 and 35mm. (Still got most of the negs colour &B&W and the trannies as well).
    Then came digital, first a Nikon fim scanner then digital camera, but nom moving more and more back to the 'hell hole' at the bottom of the garden to practise the black art of printing.
    More satisfying than printing on an inkjet and assured that the image will stay permenant for more than a couple of months. What goes round comes around so they say.

18. Mojo_66

Mojo_66 Well-Known Member

I develop mono films quite regularly. Got a pile of them in the fridge at the moment waiting for my attention. I used to have a darkroom but since moving house I lost it, still got all the stuff though so I may set it up again sometime. For now I scan the negs. Quite like trying new techniques and film/developer combinations. Recently souped a roll of FP4 in Gold Blend. That was interesting. Tried it since though and got nothing, seems to be very hit and miss. Been reading a little on various websites about Urinol, but I think I'll give that one a miss.

19. Benchmark

Sounds interesting (NOT). :eek:

Does the 'donor' have to consume certain quantites of coffee, alcohol or orange juice to produce the desired brew. :D

Think I'll stick to Tetenal. :)

20. Mojo_66

Mojo_66 Well-Known Member

:D Don't get me wrong, I just did Google on "alternative" processing methods and came across it. Didn't go into too much detail other than processing times, but I think this would depend on the individual. I think red wine was another I found.