1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you ever developed a roll of film?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Damien_Demolder, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Damien_Demolder

Damien_Demolder Well-Known Member

Our next poll on the home page aims to discover what percentage of amateurphotogapher.co.uk users have ever developed a roll of film themselves.

With the age that digital photography is now, we have generations of photographers coming, or already here, who have never even shot a roll of film. Before we ask that one I thought it would be interesting to see how many of our users have never splashed a roll (or sheet) of film into the chemistry.

The results of the poll will be interesting, but I anticipate the discussion will lead us down Memory Lane to our first developments - and also perhaps our last.

My first was a roll of ORWOPan 400 in ID11 in the school darkroom, and my latest was a couple of sheets of 9x12cm Classic Pan, again in ID11 - but this time in my kitchen.

Thanks for taking part.

damien

Should work OK now - Nick

2. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Oooooooooooooooh yes, used to do it all the time and I suspect this is an answer you will get from quite a few "digital converts". Will I do it much in the future? Nah, probably not. Life is too short and frankly I can't be ar*ed anymore! :eek:

BigWill

P.S. just got this "This page has been called with an invalid parameter : page Should be of type 'alphanum'" when I tried to vote Damien.........................you did feed the hamster this morning didn't you? :eek:

P.P.S. Ignore my last..........................I think they've just fed "Hammy" :D ;)

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

My first film was 126 at school - Verichrome Pan? Can't recall. Over the years I've developed 110, 126, 127, 828, 135, 120 and 5x4" films, and even quarter-plate glass plates. I've used dishes, daylight tanks and a CPE-2. I've used numerous B&W devs, my favourites being Rodinal and Acutol, C41 and E6 - the earliest E6 kits being more like E4, complete with reversal exposure. And I still do it now, despite digital.

4. Iloca

Iloca Well-Known Member

Used film cameras for about 20 years and never developed a roll. Developed my first out of necessity, 5x7 sheet about 2 years ago, after I'd started using a DSLR. I haven't done much since, a few rolls of 120 and 5x4 sheet, all B/W. It's too time consuming to be honest but a 5x4 negative puts DSLR quality into perspective, even when using a Crown Graphic with a 30 year old lens.

Richard

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

GAaaaaarggghhh! The original link pointed back to this page; I edited it to point to the homepage, then it got edited back to that dodgy one - I've re-re-edited it to point to the homepage now. I hope.

6. Damien_Demolder

Sorry Will. The hamster had to step out for a few moments. He's fully refreshed now, and should be able for the rest of the day. Just you keep off him, though.

7. BigWill

Relax Nick....................it's now workin'! :cool:

BigWill

8. Hotblack

Hotblack Dead Horse Flogger

Yes. Probably Ilford FP4 or HP5 was my first ever roll. I was on a night school course at the Oxford College of Further Education some 18 or 20 years ago. Although we didn't do our own developing on the course we did our own printing.

We were also encouraged to join The Photographers Workshop in Oxford, just off the Cowley Road. It was a fantastic place with a huge darkroom with about 10 or 12 enlargers in there and all the chemicals on tables in the middle of the room. You paid an hourly fee to be in there and any tuition was free. It was there that I learnt all the palaver of temperature and timing etc. Haven't souped a film for well over 10 years now.

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Just so ong as that Editor don't edit it again.... :D

10. Damien_Demolder

When I was a student Rodinal was as cool as Bacardi Breezers are today with teenage revolutionaries. That and Record Rapid are my two most mourned products.

11. BigWill

.................bring me a new hamster.................this one's split! :eek: (no hamsters were harmed in the making of that rather terrible joke! :eek:)

BigWill

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Try sellotape. :eek:

13. BigWill

We've had Tharg chained to his desk for the rest of the day! :eek:

BigWill

14. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

Definately.

I just wish I had a £1 for every foot of film and every print I have processed.

15. Damien_Demolder

Left the lid off the links bottle over night and they oxidised! :D

Also, slightly incompetent!

16. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

I could balls it up, if you like, just for a bit of variety? ;-)

Err, anyway, yes - developing. Yup, devved my first roll of Icantrememberwhat-o-pan in about 1975ish (probably). Done a bit of B&W reversal processing, Barfen (E4?), E6, plus a lot of normal mono negative stuff over the years. The last is the only kind I do these days (haven't processed any for a year or so though - got a pile of stuff sitting in the 'in-tray'. :)

17. BigWill

"I could balls it up, if you like, just for a bit of variety? ;-)"...........................look, if we want it really ballzed up we'll get Fen the destroyer in here thank you very much! :D

BigWill

18. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

*sits at computer drumming fingers and pondering on BigWills lifespan*

19. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Probably something like three weeks or so to the next full moon?

20. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

A long time ago...in a galaxy far far away.....

....E6.. mainly Fujichrome RDP (pre-sensia days.) I suppose the follow up question has to be something like..."Have you developed any film within the past 6 months?"

Graeme