1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have I made the right decision?

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by cgproudfoot, Jun 21, 2013.

1. cgproudfoot

cgproudfoot Well-Known Member

Just upgraded DA16-45 with DA*16-50 for use on K7. Thought about getting K5ii body insead and staying with DA16-45 but thought the better glass would be more useful for a future K3........................

Any thoughts?

Chris

2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Money is often better spent on a lens than upgrading a camera body

3. ianwaite

ianwaite Well-Known Member

Digital bodies are almost disposable in the scheme of things these days, where as good glass holds it's value. Good glass IMHO is almost aways the key to good results, where as upgrading the body as you suggested may not improve your images. I'm not sure of the quality difference between the two lenses you mention, if there is a quality improvement then fine, but if you've upgraded just for the extra 5mm on the top end then I wouldn't have bothered and bought another lens to give you more top end (unless of course you already have got that covered). There is always the question of getting stuck on one brand which many photographers find themselves getting into, once you build a collection of good lenses up, you end up having to stay with that maker/system. This is OK as long as that maker maintains their quality in the future, or even stays in business.

4. johnriley1uk

johnriley1uk Well-Known Member

It's too late for thoughts, you've done it! Seriously, once the decision has been made I wouldn't torment myself over it. It's the same with prices, no point keeping looking after you've paid up.

5. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

I do hope you are right. I went the Sony FF A mount route with Zeiss and G glass and am just hoping the A mount will survive.

6. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Re: I got a K1000 in 1986. Have I made the right decision? :eek:

Hi Chris,

Just taking the pi$$ .... subject line wise ;)

Seriously, there both great lenses (16-45 and 16-50) and, IMHO,
    I think the 16-50 offers more with 2.8, weather sealed and the SDM
    for smoother, quieter, faster AF. And, yes, I will acknowledge the SDM
    motor issue because it happened to my DA 50-135/2.8, albeit 18 months
    after my "skateboarder into lens fiasco" ... but it's worked perfectly since :)

As for the K-3, the only Pentax Rumours I follow are when I receive the
    Product Codes and Pricing from PentaxRicoh and, even then, I'll really believe
    'em when I receive the "they're here" email from the orderdesk :D

Hope all is well and you have a great summer of fun and good shooting :)

Jack

7. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

It seems safe enough at the moment, the 50mm f1.4 Zeiss lens is now listed and new bodies are still coming to market, even if the new A58 doesn't really add anything.

8. cgproudfoot

cgproudfoot Well-Known Member

Thanks Jack. I guess I was just seeing if anyone would challenge the lens rather than the body. But seems not. Am happy with the decision and look forward to doing some shooting in Peru in September :)

Best wishes,

Chris

9. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Sounds like a great trip, Chris :), but ..... beware of the Pisco Sours ... a Peruvian libation on some repute :D Also, from what I've heard, you have to get to Machu Piccu quite early to beat the crowds :)

As for the body .... the best one is the one ya got ;)

Happy Travels and Good Shooting :)

Cheers,

Jack