1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have I made an enormous mistake?

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Jacqui Jay, May 24, 2012.

1. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I too have used eBay for many years and have just recently had two buyers report minor faults which I know weren't true. I just wrote back apologising and asking them to return the goods for a refund. In both cases I heard no more.

I've also noticed quite a few big sellers now saying in their listings that that will happily take returns but on no account do partial refunds.

So it seems the latest buyer scam is to report a non-existent fault and ask for a price reduction. I think this is what my two buyers were up to :(

2. MartyG

MartyG Well-Known Member

Definitely not a new thing, buyers try that particular ruse all the time in my experience of selling on eBay. "Give me a discount because of XXX or I'll give you negative feedback".

3. Roger_Provins

Well it's new to me and I've been selling on eBay for many years. However, I wish they would threaten negative feedback unless I offer discount as this is known by eBay as "Feedback extortion" of which they take a very serious view.

4. MartyG

MartyG Well-Known Member

I went through a spate of selling in 2008 and got a number of I want a discount because of XXX, which I did to avoid the negative feedback. It was enough to put me off selling. Shame eBay deletes old messages otherwise I'd post them up.

5. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

I put a Billingham bag up on Amazon a while ago and was asked 'Is it genuine?'.
    I was tempted to reply 'No, it's a counterfeit but please don't tell anyone'. :)

6. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

Yeah I've had a couple of similar experiences. I did the same as you with the same result.

Willie

7. Motorised

Motorised Member

What I reckon has happened here, is that the guy who bought the camera had second thoughts a little later about how much he'd paid for it, and then looked for a way out. The best he could come up with was his excuse about the Hong Kong business. Considering Hong Kong was never mentioned in the Ebay description in any way shape or form, to my mind only confirms just how pathetic his excuses really are.

I'd nurtured a 100% feedback rating on Ebay over a period of about 5 or 6 years with a couple of hundred sales or so, and was very proud of my total 100% rating. All it took was a completely misguided misfit to leave some spiteful feedback and ruined my reputation in a matter of minutes, that I'd worked so hard to achieve.

I cancelled my Ebay account and have absolutely no intention whatsoever of renewing it. If your customer had been upfront in the first place about wanting to back out of the deal, because he'd had second thoughts about paying so much for the camera, it would have saved an awful lot of hassle for everybody concerned. Instead he felt the need to be deceitful, and create unnecessary animosity for all concerned.

8. Jacqui Jay

Jacqui Jay Grasshopper's Sage

Thanks for bringing this back to the top; I had meant to post an update.

After it went to arbitration by eBay, the money was frozen in my PayPal account, we batted comments back and forwards to each other for a few days, as advised before eBay stepped in, when he suddenly went quiet, no messages to me or communication to eBay. We never heard from him again and after 45 days (I think) eBay closed the file and my money was restored to my PayPal account.

I think you are spot-on with your assessment and he is probably using the camera quite happily, once he recovered from actually having to pay for it.

I'm happy with the outcome, as I had always believed eBay favoured the buyer, but they did advise me to sit it out, rather than try to push it. Funnily enough, I had sold a lens in the same week and that buyer said there was a 'foreign body' in the lens and asked for a reduction so he could have it serviced. When I told him to take it to a recognised Nikon dealer and I would pay the service bill, he dropped off the radar.

9. Motorised

Motorised Member

Seems they're both what you would call Snow Flakes. Or often termed a... Flake.

Looks lovely on the way down, but once it lands it disappears into nothing at all.

10. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

A bit of an overreaction is it not? I mean one bad review among 100s of good ones would lead people to draw their own conclusions surely? :confused:

Willie

11. Motorised

Motorised Member

Hi Willie

I think that was the final straw really. There was a whole combination of things about Ebay that I didn't like that had accumulated over a period of several years. From their charges to having one of my listings deleted for spamming. Whatever they meant by that I never did find out, but it contravened something. To my mind the listing looked fine and was honest and truthful. I certainly wan't trying to spam anybody. I reckon somebody was having a bad day and took it out on me. I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. But my two main complaints were the dishonest people and their exorbitant charges.

12. Roger_Provins

I would just have left a sensible explanatory comment on the feedback and left it to buyers to make their own judgement on the matter. A reputation isn't spoilt by one adverse feedback comment.

13. Jacqui Jay

Jacqui Jay Grasshopper's Sage

I lost my 100% rating just under two years ago when a buyer tried to coerce me into dropping the price she had paid, citing scratches on a handbag which I hadn't declared. This was so obviously untrue and I had photographic evidence to that effect. Nevertheless, she was allowed to post a lie and I lost my 'full marks'. I kept my head down for a while, selling small items like books etc. until my rating crept up again and now the nastiness has dropped off the radar and has been largely forgotten. In eBay, as in all walks of life, dishonest people will upset the applecart and the only way to deal with them is to grit your teeth and get on with it.