1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have I made an enormous mistake?

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Jacqui Jay, May 24, 2012.

1. Jacqui Jay

Jacqui Jay Grasshopper's Sage

I put my D700 up for sale on eBay and it sold for quite a nice price.
    When the buyer received it, however, he said the goods were not as described.
    It is immaculate, like new, only 3105 actuations.
    None of that in dispute.
    But the company I bought it from - HDEW Cameras - source their stock from Hong Kong.
    It doesn't say so on their website and I had no reason to believe it had come from abroad (although, logically speaking, all Nikons are made abroad, aren't they?)
    Anyway, because I didn't know this, and therefore didn't mention it, the buyer says my description is inaccurate and has asked for his money back.
    I'll probably give it to him to avoid hassle, but would like to know what you all think about this?

2. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

how can you tell?

3. Jacqui Jay

Apparently there is a small logo on the side of the box that says Nikon HK instead of Nikon UK.

4. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

If the D700 is out of warranty I cannot see the issue. :confused:

Surely Nikon UK will service the D700 for a fee if it needs it?

5. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

What reason has he given to say the goods "are not as described" what did you say in the listing he is disputing?

You could let him argue with PayPal (assuming that's how you received payment). If they find in his favour they will tell him to send it back to you (buyer pays return costs) and refund him only when you have received the goods back.

You'll be wise to examine the camera very carefully on return.

EDIT see I was a bit too slow posting.

6. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

spose he's worried that he's shelled out a lot of money for something that might not be covered by a warranty and his nerves won't let him take the risk.
    I think you're right to reimburse ...I always do even when the beggars don't give me a chance to sort things out

7. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Yeah, but get the goods back. :)

It's still a working product.

Most of the cameras I have bought secondhand were out of warranty so I don't care where they were first sold from.

All I care is they work and have all the bits as list by the seller.

8. Mojo_66

Mojo_66 Well-Known Member

Paypal usually find in the buyer's favour. As mentioned if out of warranty it shouldn't matter and wouldn't bother me but it might be easier to reimburse minus postage for an easy life! Make sure you get them camera back first though, obviously. Was the second offer fairly close to the winning bid?

9. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Surely a D700 is a D700, it is out of warranty anyway. I would be more concerned about condition than where it was originally supplied from. You haven't misdescribed the camera. Let's face it, plenty of people have bought non-UK Canons quite happily, which have different model names or numbers in other countries.

10. MartyG

MartyG Well-Known Member

And this is why I didn't want to sell my D80 and D2Xs on eBay ...

11. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I wouldn't be so sure.....would be worth checking before buying an import. Don't think all manufacturers have the same policy here.

12. Towershot

Towershot Well-Known Member

I don't see why they would not service it for a price.:confused:

13. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

14. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

Nikon list a small number of 'authorised repair centres', so presumably these would be able to get spare parts.

The Nikon UK/Europe repair page is here. I haven't looked through it all, but I couldn't see anything about only repairing Nikon UK supplied items from a quick perusal.

Not that this is likely to appease the buyer. :(

15. Jacqui Jay

Well, I've been and gone and done it.

The buyer refused to return the camera unless I refunded him first, which is contrary to eBay policy. He followed this up with an inflammatory remark, so I told him he would have to appeal to eBay and I would abide by their decision.

I had decided to have it back and it would all have been over by now if he hadn't taken this stance. So, time will tell. If I lose, at least he will have to return the camera first, as eBay are involved. I will have three days to check it over before returning the money and I will definitely be checking the actuations!

16. Jacqui Jay

I checked with Lehmann's of Stoke, giving them the camera's history, and they said they would definitely repair it.

17. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

One advantage of selling through Amazon Marketplace is that the payment is collected by Amazon. Also, if an item is returned, Amazon delay the refund to the buyer for a while, giving time for the seller to let them know if the goods aren't returned.

It's worth considering as an alternative to eBay. Not sure how the costs compare, but probably not much different when you factor in eBay & Paypal fees.

18. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

I'd always refund as a matter of principle. Life's really too short for all the hassle and someone will snap it up anyway. What is not acceptable, of course, is for the buyer to demand a refund before the goods are returned.

Can you keep us posted, Jacqui? I'd be interested to know how this turns out.

Ebay is one of these things I've not had a problem with, but I'm always a bit wary whenever I use it. I recently sold a load of stuff and decided to use Ffordes commission sales to avoid all the potential issues with ebay. I reckon it works out as cost effective for sellers as ebay and Ffordes take any flack from buyers. Once you get it back, it might be worth considering that.

Willie

19. Jacqui Jay

I've used eBay for a few years now and always been satisfied, but over the last few months, a 'nasty' element seems to have crept in, lots of inane questions pre-auction and niggles post-auction. I'll look at the alternatives suggested for the future and let you know the outcome of this mini-debacle.

20. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

The one that always make me "smile" is ..."isthe lens clean free from dust fungus etc"....then they don't bid on it..
    I had a problem when someone bought a lens from me then they went on "holiday" and when they returned the lens wasn't working properly- they hadn't had time to test the lens...guess what I told them:cool: