1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Havana schoolchildren

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by miked, Jan 5, 2014.

1. miked

miked Well-Known Member

2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

What a nice happy picture!

3. Caulkhead

Caulkhead Well-Known Member

What he says!

4. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Indeed, gladdens the heart to see the joy on their faces, on such a miserable evening here.(weather-wise)

5. miked

miked Well-Known Member

My thanks to nimbus, caulkhead and craig.

6. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

+1:D what a happy group of kids.Made me smile too.

I notice the Icecream(helados) seller in the back.

7. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Clearly they were havana good time...

Well. somebody had to...

Coat on, door open, just leaving..................:D

8. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Thanks to Dave and 'ouch' to Nigel.

9. luisport

luisport Well-Known Member

I had hesitated to comment on this one. I wanted to see the comment flow before I tried to give any thought about it.
    I do like the shot. It shows many things altogether. Forget not that I come from the country and I know the city (Please, do not take this as me telling you that "you know sweet eff all about the place")
    It shows odds and commonalities. I will still be patient and ask you Miked and all to "interrogate the scene" as RM says. Go beyond the smiles and thumbs up.
    Cheers,
    Luis

10. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Thanks Luis, and I understand what you are referring to - that everything in Cuba is not sweetness and light. I do have images that show another side to the country and have presented them on here in past years. What I will say is that my wife and I had one of the very best holiday trips we have ever enjoyed when we visited Cuba. We loved the scenery and the food (yes rice and beans and chicken were always on the menu) but we especially loved the people who simply got on with the business of living life despite the many privations they endure. They were so very welcoming and friendly. I'll leave the politics aside.

11. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

^ I feel that we probably are all reasonably aware of the situation in Cuba, although not in detail. You have, as you say shown both sides, this is part of the good side, there is nothing wrong with a cheerful picture of this nature, it doesn't all have to be gritty doom and gloom.

12. Myopic George

Myopic George Well-Known Member

Weather-wise, it looks a bit gloomy which doesn't lean towards the feeling of happiness. A quick edit is PS shows theres a little space in the highlights and bringing the gamma up a bit helps. For me anyway. Great picture.

13. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I think that's right. There are many places where the kids are very happy, whether we think they should be or not. But you don't get much more than that out of a shot like this, so I can see that there would be many other situations that might tell a different story.
    I had a bunch of kids acting just like that in Zanzibar, but when the excitement ran down I followed a couple and they gave me much more interesting shots like this.

14. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Wonderful, and best of all, the framing is all you could wish for.

15. luisport

Actually what I meant had nothing to do with politics. These kids shot in some area of colonial Havana are used to tourists taking pictures of them. They often get bubble gum, candy or chocolate treats. There are more than one photographer taking shots. The shots itself speaks of ethnic diversity, which is often unknown about in Cuba. The children holding a plastic are not having icream but ground ice with flavoured syrup, it costs 1 Cuban peso. There is girl holding a cone with peanuts that sells for the same prize. The girl holding the can, may have a different financial status since it sells for ten times the prize of the syrup - yet they all hang around without paying attention to class differences.
    The ribbon on their necks suggests an after school activity.

16. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Nice info. I used to buy peanuts in little paper twists like that too, in several countries. And used to buy the ice balls with syrup in Singapore.

17. Caulkhead

Caulkhead Well-Known Member

I seem to remember that the red ribbons are symbols of their belonging to the communist José Marti Young Pioneer League (OPJM) and that most students wear them.

18. luisport

Yes, OPJM. The ribbon was copied from the Ruskies. But since some are not wearing the uniform I would think of the after school event.

19. dachs

dachs Well-Known Member

a "news" photo which evokes so much info on the actual lives and background of other Worlds has to be up there with the tops shots; apart from the fact it is well composed, charming, takes us to places we'll never manage to go, to be thoughtfully educational is a bonus.

Sincere thanks for the expert view and in-depth comments, dear subscribers, I feel humbled. Also, I have now learned to look for all the small clues into what street shots contain - what are they holding, what stalls are in the background?

Really, heartfelt thanks, that is a good'n