1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone used Photocrowd

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by davebrogan, Jul 16, 2016.

1. davebrogan

davebrogan New Member

Has anyone used Photocrowd to sell images. It looks ok but so do a lot of other sites that don't end up being as good as they make out.

2. TheSeeingEye

TheSeeingEye Active Member

Yes, joined in 2015 but only uploaded images and entered crowd rating in 2017.

First impressions, exciting and fun. Easy to upload and enter. A single image for free account.

Second impressions, very odd rating and scoring system and (as you would expect) very weird crowd voting. Can you imagine what our great art pieces would be if Joe Public voted for them? Indeed popular (crowd) voting does indeed reveal the most popular but often the lowest common denominator or 'in trend'. This is balanced by occasional 'expert' judging which is infinitely preferable to the crowd choice of chocolate box images or those with bumped contrast or highly saturated colours.

Third impressions. Still very suspicious voting system and this is secret? Comments and 'loves' positive and little learning opportunities for photographers other than ability to see some great images but you dont need to be a member of Photocrowd for this. It is both exhilarating when an image does well and crushing when one doesnt. Remember as in most crowds they are unsophisticated and not too bright. Very obvious and hackneyed images score highly as they are new and fresh to the young phone photographers and those that dont get out much. Many images do not meet the stated brief yet get winning/high crowd votes. These images can be great but should not have received votes in that competition. The staff of PhotoCrowd should 'weed' not on brief images out or be better at stating the brief so as not to be ambiguous.

Final impressions. Your images are at risk and the terms and conditions allow Photocrowd unbridled usage of your image though ownership remains with you. Voting still very weird and as they say if it looks like ****, smells like **** then it probably is ****. Great 'art' images may fail miserably in front of the crowd as expected so dont enter them here. the crowd is easily entertained and amused so these images do well. Technical excellence is not needed most images are soft or out of focus or over/under saturated or non-level horizons (especially water), etc many have more than one of these issues. There is little in the way of constructive criticism or correction. This is a fun site and you will see great images but you will not improve or not much. Many images are plagiarised from well known images (Afghan Girl) or famous stand-here images (Iceland, Venice, Taj Mahal, etc). Others (wildlife) are from staged wildlife centre studio sets rather than 'in the wild'.

As I said its fun, so try it but I fear ultimately if you are a good/great photographer you will find your images get stolen and you learn less then expected and the initial fun will pale. I would like the voting system changed. It is easy to give a wrong vote when voting on as many as 2000 images and one gets fatigued. A vote should be able to be changed when just given. The voting system should be entirely transparent. Not on brief entries should be removed before rating begins - easy to do. Competitions should be limited to 500 first in first served though paying Photocrowd members can enter 4 so may only have 125 photographers in same competition. I see many images entered in almost every competition (there is a pair of charging water buffaloes with driver being dragged behind in a hail of mud its a great image the first 10 times :( only ).

Make your own choice. My advice although you may be lured by selling your image (it is a feature of Photocrowd) the success of this is hidden. I am not sure many sell images and they may well receive far more elsewhere. You are unlikely to sell an image at all I feel. Therefore when posting images reduce the quality right down as this deters copyright theft and still provides a high quality viewable image.

3. TheSeeingEye

As an addendum to my previous post, it is now two weeks later.

So far in 2017 I have personally rated 31,000 images and here is one of the great positives of Photocrowd. Exposure to other peoples images improves both your own images (in the future) and your critical eye. You have the ability to assess each image as 'not on brief; one star, two star and finally three star. The sheer number of competition entries that are 'Not on brief' is high. The three star range of rating is not quite wide enough to sort the wheat from the chaff. What wins a 'crowd' vote (by you and me) is as always a popular result that occasionally results in the best photograph winning. By far and wide the Expert judge assessed winners are more accurate. Why some people give the top three star award to pictures that are not even on brief beggars belief!

This system is flawed and following closure of Rating appointed Photocrowd 'staff' should 'weed' out any images that are not on brief as I have seen outstanding images win competitions while not meeting the brief? This has led to a practice of some Photocrowd members simply repeatedly entering these outstanding images and getting progress. Clearly pointless and demoralising for other Photocrowd members. A great example (current) is a series of competitions based on the concept of Cartier Bresson's 'Decisive Moment', few of the images represent the essence of this concept, with most being action photographs taken at high speed freezing something (which in fact is what ALL images are). There are composites with tall city buildings taken with a extreme perspective and jetliners plonked via photoshop in the appropriate point of visual (perspective) focus! Hardly a Cartier Bresson 'Decisive Moment'!

Photocrowd is fun, for a time. It lacks Photographer (member) interaction , having no forum. It has a Facebook page for Facebook devotees. It has no critical path (and I mean that in a number of ways) in that constructive criticism is the way to improvement and growth of all of us. The addition of a 'What might have been changed or done differently' option for images might lead to suggestions such as 'Post your image the correct way up', 'level the horizon', 'Everything shows camera shake, try a faster shutter/higher iso' etc.

Because of the above I suspect Photocrowd will stagger along (it is fun) for many years but ultimately for serious photographers there are better places to grow and develop. It is a modern facility for the Iphone generation to 'like' if you know what I mean.

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

At the end of April (a way to go) we will be about 1/3 the way through the year. Assuming 8 hours sleep then that is a pool of some 116,800 waking minutes. If you have appraised 31,000 images and done nothing else then that is 3.7 minutes per image. You must be spending an inordinate amount of time on that site if you are giving good consideration to the images posted.

5. TheSeeingEye

Lol. Thanks Doubting Thomas (look it up). You have made an assumption that anyone would take as long as 3.7 minutes to rate an image. I would not expect anyone to take this long as there are many contests to rate and many thousands of images at any one time. I doubt I take longer than a second or two to assess and rate an image. If an image takes longer than that then perhaps it has missed it's point? Indeed the modern (last 15 years?) trend is to bul**hit Ad Infinitum about an image in text to somehow validate a bad image. Some are experts at this.
    To help you sleep tonight I attach a screen capture of the facts. DoubtingThomas.JPG

Now about this obsession with numbers and inability to reason correctly ....... you can get help ..... lol. As they say about the word ASSUME it makes an ASS of U and ME.

6. Mark Green

Mark Green New Member

I have found the whole photocrowd voting system very frustrating, initially i was really enjoying posting images into the competitions, but i started to realize how utterly ridiculous the voting system is. i have seen terrible images, for example of animals taken through glass in a zoo, which takes no skill or effort to do, beat stunning wildlife images which the photographer has obviously put some work into. If the competition is run by someone from the community, common sense normally kicks in when they reveal their choices, but the crowd results are generally a total mystery to me.
    Some months back i was included in a survey they sent out about revamping the whole voting system , asking for suggestions from the community on the current system and how you would improve it. i have not seen anything since, for now i have cancelled my subscription and will not be going back until its fixed. !!

Cheers
    Mark.G

7. dan marchant

dan marchant Active Member

The lowest common denominator is often the favourite - which is not the same as "the best". The public will vote for the lowest common denominator because it is usually less challenging and because if it wins it makes them feel better about their own work. In short, no matter how they change it, such a system will never work in the way you hope it will.