1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hanimex Pro 550

Discussion in 'Other Brands & Accessories' started by ogofmole, Oct 7, 2006.

1. ogofmole

ogofmole Well-Known Member

I have just got this flashgun off e-bay cheap, all working fine but no manual, does anyone know what the sliding switch on the front is for, it will line up with either a red, white or green dot. I have only used this flash to fire manually using the test button and a open shutter on camera with good effects.

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Yes, that's the switch to determine which aperture to use in "auto" mode. Don't ask me which is which, though!

3. sillyconguru

sillyconguru Well-Known Member

Isn't there a distance table on the flashgun somewhere? This should have coloured bars that indicate to required aperture for you to set on the camera (the white dot is probably for full manual, the red & green dots would be something like f2.8 & f5.6 @ 100 ISO).

4. ogofmole

Yes there is a distance table and Yes there is green F8 and red F4, so my next question is, as I fire this flash manally using the test fire button will there be any difference in power output depending upon which position I have the slider switch set to.

5. sillyconguru

sillyconguru Well-Known Member

Yes; as long as the subject distance is within that of the appropriate scale (e.g. 2 metres or so), if the subject is too far away the flash will produce full power.

6. johnrhos

johnrhos Member

To set the auto control, slide the selector switch to either the red or green position and set your camera diaphragm to the appropriate F- stop. On ASA 100 (21 DIN) this is f4 for the red setting for shooting up to 25 feet OR F8 for the green setting for shooting up to 12 feet. for close ups always use the green setting which can be used down to 1.5 feet. For film speeds other than 100ASA use the calculator on the side of the flash head by turning the outer ring until the chosen film speed aligns with the arrow. You can then read the required F- stop on the centre scale under the green or red indicator.The figures inside the green and red indicators are the maximum allowable distance in feet and metres. Hope this is helpful :)

7. ogofmole

So i presume that when the sliding switch is in the white position, I will get maximum output from the flash. As the flashgun is never connected to a camera, it is fired via the test button.

8. johnrhos

johnrhos Member

With the selector switch in the central white position the photocell is covered and the full power of the flash is released at each shot. Since your enquiry on this I have managed to dig up the instruction booklet if you e- mail me your address I will photocopy it and send it to you :cool:

9. ogofmole

Many Thanks for the handbook.

10. GianniBonincontro

GianniBonincontro New Member

Sorry guys
    someone know if flash HANIMEX PRO 550 can be used with Nikon D40?
    Thank you
    Gianni

11. FujiSigmaNolta

FujiSigmaNolta Well-Known Member

As far as I am concerned this little gem works with anything. I have used it with, Fujifilm S20pro, Fujifilm S3pro, Sigma SD10 (with synch adapter),Konica Minolta 7D,Kiev 6C,Nikon F80 (with synch adapter),Sigma SA-7(synch adapter),Fujica ST605....

I know that it can work automatically but I do not know if its the red or the green position for Canon(I think one is Canon for sure the other is Yashica or something like that), but no harm using it in manual mode (white, mid position).

12. Copysys

Copysys New Member

Hi, I have just joined this group and was wandering if you still have a copy of the manual, as I have just picked up one of these flash guns, I pretty much know how to use it, but small things like how long before auto off occurs, and guide no. ( 30 ? )
    Regards
    Harry

13. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

14. Copysys

Copysys New Member

Many thanks, he has the BX550, which is the same, but without the large handle

15. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

That was a 2006 post you relied to!

16. Copysys

Copysys New Member

I know, but I always think that you never know unless you ask