1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hands free phone ban when driving...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Malcolm_Stewart, Aug 13, 2019.

1. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I bought one in Phoenix and used it for a couple of weeks without problems. Some years later after many road trips, when the mount broke I bought another one in Colorado, Fort Collins I think and did likewise. I still buy road maps when we visit a new state though.

2. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Yes, I always run a new sat-nav around routes that I know. The Garmin unit in my new toy has the ability to select roads / areas to avoid. Currently only White Way is selected.

3. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

I've never driven a biggie (as my kids all call them) so I'm not sure but I suspect it will be as bad.

My own ancient GPS re-calculates the route every time you deviate from it's suggestions. Most of the time it stops trying to turn me round within 10 miles of me leaving it's route.
    Unfortunately it's now 10 years overdue for an update & doesn't take traffic into account, but most of the time it did the job perfectly well till I damaged the charging cable.

4. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Re. earlier posting about talking to passengers being a distraction too.

If I'm following a car and see that the driver regularly turns his/her head to face a passenger, I drop back if I can and let somebody else drive immediately behind them because if there is any unexpected problem ahead they will probably hit it. Roads are too dangerous to drive on without giving the job 100% of your concentration, but some manufacturers still design things like heater and fan controls in such a way that you have to look at them when adjusting them.

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Touch screens are extremely bad in that respect, aside from the corners they can't be used any other way than looking at them.

6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

We would all benefit if drivers always kept a large gap between vehicles. Apart from anything else collisions would be reduced and you wouldn't get phantom holdups.

Panasonic G9 8GB 06 P1011382.JPG

7. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

The large gap never happens, but I usually get one or two cars between me and the idiot driver which makes be feel a bit less at risk.

8. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

My SatNav has two big issues (it's a pretty ancient TomTom).

1. It sometimes diverts me around bad traffic without telling me. I discovered that when I once set off from home heading for the nearest dual carriageway and it asked me to follow a most peculiar route. Of course I knew better , followed the 'proper' route and ended in a major traffic incident that cost me about 45 minutes.
    2. On a journey it will sometimes offer a new route that is "X minutes faster". Unfortunately it offers the alternative far too late - especially on a M'Way. To be fair it does show the alternative route in green (instead of blue) before it announces it - but you need to have your eyes on the screen rather more than I'm comfortable with to make full use of the information.

MickLL

9. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

My 3008 has crash detection alert already and the air bags have to deploy.

10. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

My 3008 has sat nav voice command on a stalk and you can configure the sat nav to also appear in the instrument binnacle in place of the rev counter .

11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Often our politicians lie to us about why they are doing things, banning the use of hands free phones seem like an example of this. I therefore pose the following question “how many accidents are caused by people making hands free calls?”. My suspicion is that the numbers are low. If that is the case, why bother banning them? Clearly phone calls can be distracting, but they can also be reassuring.

We have a climate problem so I would expect campaigners to target big emitters of greenhouse gases like shipping, manufacturing etc. are they doing that? No they are targeting aviation, 2%, and the UK, also 2%, why?

With both hands free phones and aviation the effects of a 100% success would be insignificant, if you want to make a difference target the big problem. Why do people target insignificant issues then? Could it be because, in reality, they are powerless but want to be noticed or are they distracting us from something else?