1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hands free phone ban when driving...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Malcolm_Stewart, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Last year there was a collision in a narrow country lane near my house: both drivers were using mobile telephones at the time (one hand held and one hands free). Perhaps road safety really is more important than a driver's 'need' to stay in contact whilst driving.

Take away their mobiles and ban them from driving for a year.
    No exceptions or excuses allowed.

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I'm not disputing that, my comment to Spinno was because I don't need one, I already have one. I think they should be mandatory.

3. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

It's not going to matter soon, there'll be no need to worry when we have driverless cars......where they've been abandoned at the side of the road because there's no fuel to replenish the tanks

Catriona likes this.
  4. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

They won't need fuel, they will be electric, so all we need to do is plug them into the grid........ :rolleyes:

Catriona likes this.
  5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

What grid? Seems much of it gave up last week, if only briefly.

RogerMac likes this.
  6. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

We'll all have to tame unicorns and ride about on them

AndyTake2 and Zou like this.
  7. dream_police

It was posted as a joke.:)

8. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Many a true word spoken in jest...
    No oil, we can't afford it, no grid, looks like Shank's Pony for all of us

9. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

HUD would probably reduce the number of accidents that occur from people glancing down at the SatNavs built into dashboards. You only need to be distracted for a couple of milliseconds for some unexpected incident to occur. As for the use of mobile phones in cars, many of these now offer Bluetooth functionality, so what's the difference in using this, or someone next to you, answering your calls? They are both a distraction! As someone else has said here, surely some form of automatic answering system needs to cut in, as soon as a vehicles' motion is detected, preventing incoming and outgoing calls? No doubt someone (who hates not being able to 'Yap' 24/7) will say, "That will mean you won't be able to make emergency calls?" - Well, if one has had an accident, the vehicle is going to be stationary, which will also mean emergency calls CAN be made on a smartphone.

10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The grid or your comment?

Zou likes this.
  11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I had occasion to make an emergency call whilst exiting the M25, an HGV had contacted the central barrier and launched the trailer, nowhere safe to stop as I was on a slip road. There are occasions where not being able to make a call could have serious consequences but limiting outgoing calls to emergency only would work.

12. dream_police

My comment was meant as a joke owing to the outage last week and the reports in todays press that there have been 3 near outages since May.

13. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Or wear suitable bifocals.

14. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Now there's an idea; install within our roads what are used on Scalectric tracks - no speeding or slow drivers and road-hogs ... Someone is sure to complain that this is utterly unfair and their Right to cause mayhem and be selfish has been impacted upon !

15. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

The sooner we can get rid of motor vehicles and be 'transported' aka Star Trek so much the better.

Mind you that will take away a lot of penis extensions... ☺

Zou and Catriona like this.
  16. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Too many drivers seem to think that driving is a great time and place to show how good they are at multi-tasking - phone in one hand, mug of coffee in the other, fag in mouth, steering with their knees and changing gear as well! Then they either drop something and try to pick it up or they hit a bump. Either way they swerve into the opposite lane and.....bang, head on! Alternatively they are texting..........they click send, suddenly see the HGV directly in front...and it's too late to take evasive action.
    I've given up driving. With such idiots on the roads - I'm too young to die!

Lynn

Zou and Catriona like this.
  17. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Normally conversation with a passenger slows as the driver encounters demanding traffic situations. This may not be done consciously but it happens. I only realised this as my mother developed dementia and her inane 'conversation' never ceased even when negotiating busy roundabouts and similar situations which demanded my complete attention. Normal passengers are traffic aware. The person at the other end of a mobile conversation is just as traffic unaware as a demented passenger.

18. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

It's a requirement now that all new cars will be able to call the emergency services in the event of a crash (no I don't have the legislation to hand!), so will the computer get points on it's interface if it calls the cops after a minor prang?:p

19. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I do.

This was a piece of codswallop in the the Daily Wail published in 2015 ( https://www.dailymail.co.uk/science...and-makers-install-emergency-black-boxes.html ) and repeated on a site called "Unlike Kinds" in June this year: https://unlikekinds.com/article/ecall-eu-cars-emergency-call-privacy

In fact the bollocks started from a speculative article on the European Automotive News site in 2006. The article was pointing out the stumbling blocks to the idea ever taking off: https://europe.autonews.com/article/20061002/ANE/60926034/cars-that-call-for-help-slow-in-coming

So it's a load of rubbish and mentioning it without bothering to do some quick research is simply lazy thinking of the leaver variety.

20. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

As far as I know it is legal to make an emergency call like that, whilst driving.