1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hands free phone ban when driving...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Malcolm_Stewart, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

There's much chatter and comment about an MP committee proposal that there ought to be more restrictions on the use of mobile phones in cars.
    I remember some of the comment from when this was last discussed, and from what I recall, the problem with us understanding speech from mobile phones is that the technology behind the system breaks up the speech in subtle ways which we don't consciously recognise, but which impede our understanding of the message. I've not heard any mention of this in reports of the latest discussions. Have I missed it, or has technology moved on so that speech from mobile phones is now better than a decade or so ago?

Whatever, I'm surprised at the amount of technology going in to cars. I don't understand how anyone manages their SatNav without taking their attention away from other road users.
    (For the record, I've been driving since 1960.)

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

When I passed my test in 1971 we no longer needed to pay a man to walk in front of the car waving a red flag. :D

In all seriousness this is just another example of the current insanity of our system. The "chair" of the transport select committee is Lilian Greenwood who so far as I can see has never done anything except politics and therefor has little or no experience of the real world.

If candidates were forbidden to be or have been a member of a political party they might just be elected on the basis of their CV and we might get fewer Bogoff Johnsons or Rat-Moggs elected.

3. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

We need Head Up Displays;)

4. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Unfortunately neither of your examples would fall fowl of that qualification. as both had outside careers (and still have.) Moggs is an exceedingly wealthy money man, and BoJo is not far behind. Personally I would rather know which party someone identifies with. better to ban the use of party whips. and make all votes free. ( as was one time the case with the Old Liberal party. They did not have a three line whip)

5. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

wasn't there was a time they didn't have three MPs:rolleyes:

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Speak for yourself!

I think this is probably irrelevant now as newer phones offer much higher sound quality.

The big difference between SatNav and a phone is that the former can be silenced or ignored (I have the sound turned off and just rely on the HUD prompts. A phone is hard to ignore unless you switch it off, the whole idea of a ring tone is to attract your attention after all.

The difficulty as I see it is that such a ban would also have to apply to the radio systems used by Police and Ambulance motorcyclists and all emergency service drivers which might make their jobs rather more difficult, particularly the motorcyclists.

7. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Regarding tech, my iphone connects to my car through Apple Carplay. Telephone calls can be made via Siri, my sat nav (either the cars own or the ones on my phone- google, apple maps or waze, which are replicated on my car unit) can have the location inputted by voice and in fact one of them won't allow text input if the car is moving. In my car, the sat nav can also be displayed in my instrument cluster so you don't need to look at the cars media screen. It tells me vocally who is calling or messaged. It will read out any messages and if I want to reply I have to speak the message.

Regarding police radios etc, they can be used handheld as there is an exemption in place, and if it where to happen as has been talked about they would just exempt them from the law.

8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I agree that a hands-free phone is distracting while driving, as is talking with your passenger. Being deaf I find it has some advantages (while parked) as it is a lot easier to listen/talk over the car system than the phone itself.

Sat nav I think depends on the system. I have it speaking the commands so there is no need to look, however it is a built-in system that is very clear to read and the very briefest of glances will tell distance to next junction. I couldn't imagine trying to look at one of those tiny ones that clip to the dash or screen.

9. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

And both of them enjoyed the use of whips....

10. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Some facts might be in order here (boring as that may be)...

Road deaths have now reached a level that some researchers think may be irreducible:
    • 1926: 4,886
    • 1941: 9,169
    • 1960: 5,000
    • 1966: 7,985
    • 2016: 1,792
    It's quite clear that we're on top of safety in a way we never have been before (yes: there was a slight rise from 2013's lowest ever count of 1,713) so this comes across as just proposing legislation for the sake of being seen to do something no matter how silly, invasive or counter productive it will be.

11. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

It is illegal to use a hand-held phone whilst driving, a law that is flouted to a noticeable degree as it is, how on earth would or could there be any enforcement of a ban on using handsfree devices anyway, other than some kind of jamming, which could affect phones near to a vehicle anyway, let alone those of passengers.

Petrochemist likes this.
  12. dream_police

I keep reading about the govts both here and abroad wanting to ban e scooters as there have been accidents and a couple of deaths. There are accidents and deaths everyday on pushbikes, foot and in cars.
    The last knee jerk reaction I read about was in France as some guy had been killed on one. He was in lane 3 on a motorway at night. The fault was not in the scooter but the idiot using it but it is prompting them banning them.

13. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

There was also a time when they were the usual party of government.
    They never recovered from the vote on a free Ireland.
    The UK is still suffering from that defeat.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  14. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

They are absolutely lethal mixed with pedestrians - last time I was in Brussels they were everywhere in the pedestrian zone, left blocking footpaths and crossings. They really shift too.

Catriona likes this.
  15. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Still safer than the A-Z Road Atlas on the lap...☺

DaveM399 and Gezza like this.
  16. dream_police

Or leaving it to the wife to shout at you with instructions at the very last minute which are probably wrong anyway because she hadn't rotated the map to account for direction of travel. There then follows a domestic which is far more lethal than having a telephone conversation. Ahh happy days.:)

AndyTake2 likes this.
  17. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I am exceedingly anti mobile 'phone use when driving, but the extremists on this need to be a bit careful. After all, we talk to others in the car, we listen to a radio in the car. Are these to banned as well?

My own uber-geek solution is that I have written an app for my Android smartphone so that when it senses it is using Bluetooth to connect to my handsfree device, it becomes an automatic answerphone without me having to do anything. It delivers a message like "I am driving, so please leave a message". I can hear the message, but the microphone is turned off, so I cannot speak back. Once I have heard the message, I can then decide on it's urgency, and act accordingly.

As far as I am concerned, using a smartphone this way is no different to talking in the car or listening to the radio.

Zou, Footloose and Catriona like this.
  18. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Yes, I found the same in Athens. Wide roads to cross and scooters wanting to mow you down - with a grin on their faces. I saw very many people with plaster casts on their arms or legs and presume that came from road accidents.

19. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

At Primary School, the only time that I had any playground "cred" was when my right arm was in plaster for 6 weeks, following my being catapulted off a see-saw... The rest of the time, I kept out of the bullies' way.

20. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

I think HUDs are a great idea. It takes 1/ 2 second or so to look at a Speedo before readjusting focus to the road.
    The main thing would be ensuring they are at the same focus point as the road.