1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hand Inspection at Airports?

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by NDoyle, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well, in Cairo the Pyramids are far more breathtaking than you might imagine - they're simply vast. The Egyptian Museum is likewise amazing. But what is possibly most jaw-dropping is the poverty in which so many of the people live.

Nick BSRIPN

2. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

N. Doyle : re: B&W d&P

I will send you a PM with a place that I sent another forum member to who
    seemed to be happy with the results.

/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Jack

It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one is doing!/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

3. sinister

sinister Well-Known Member

But what is possibly most jaw-dropping is the poverty in which so many of the people live.

I have to agree with you here Nick. However it must be remembered it is not just in North Africa. South America , Asia and in Europe too.

It is not just that there is poverty, but that it lives check by jow with those that are rich. And In some cases I mean rich.

Crime also flurishes in the poorest of places, the shanty area's of Rio. Here Drug dealing gangs have almost total control over the area and the people.

I am not sure if giving to the poor on the street or to NGO's is the answer. And I doubt if anyone can answer it.

<font color=red>Sinister</font color=red>
    <font color=blue>Flash, bang, wallop....Bum, left the lens cap on</font color=blue>

4. CHIPS

CHIPS Well-Known Member

An Egyptian guide did point out that there were no gaunt children - poverty yes - cheek by jowl with affluence - but not the abject hopelessness and surrender of some places. She put this down to a degree of government asistance. When we asked for Pitta bread there was a slight hitch as this is/was subsidised for the poor and we weren't supposed to benefit from the subsidy - we were supposed to eat cake - of which you will be offered more than is strictly good for you by the way. As to crime I have to say I have never felt safer (from petty theft and mugging that is - there is an ever present reminder of armed security in tourist areas , and if you can't see it, it's just over the hill) - if a camera goes missing start your inquiries among your fellow tourists.

5. CHIPS

CHIPS Well-Known Member

PS - guidebooks often advise giving pens and the like to the children for their education - the guides now ask not to do so as the pens are traded and breed a beggar culture. First time we went to Egypt the children solicited politely - more recently they swarmed unpleasantly . A move which worked on a particularly persistent souvenir vendor in an isolated spot was to take his picture and tell him to leave or else the picture was going to the tourist police - he left - English is spoken well and understood universally whatever might be said to the contrary. Go to historic sites when the tourists are at tea - the feeding frenzy is unsightly - tickets are cheap - taxi drivers cheap and helpful (and funny - )and no tour guide hustling you along.

6. sinister

One could of course say that the Offical Guide was giving out the Offical Propoganda.

It is easy to assume that Hunger and Poverty are linked . So if there is no hunger therefore no poverty. We all know that this is not true. I doubt that if your guide was asked about education for the over 13 year olds was available to all, at no cost , that all medical facilities were available to all , once again at zero cost , you would have got a straight and honest answer.

It is noticble that the real truth only comes to light once you have lived in the culture for some time.

<font color=blue>Flash, bang, wallop....Bum, left the lens cap on</font color=blue>

7. CHIPS

CHIPS Well-Known Member

Of course - being a tour guide is a highly sought after and privileged position in Egypt - not a position to be jeapordised. But we are granted eyes , ears, and brains for a reason. A fellow tourist on leave from Saudi had rather more harrowing tales to tell of that immensely rich but otherwise primitive tyranny. Of course it takes time to learn the real truth of any society - not enough lifetimes for Northern Ireland though. One does one's best human to human - I ain't in a position to change much even if I knew where to start.

8. Lounge_Lizard

Lounge_Lizard Well-Known Member

Noreen

I haven't read all this thread so I don't know whether this has been suggested but I posted a tip a few months ago about reloading all film in Rowi reloadable plastic film cassettes and then secreting them on your person in various pockets. As they won't then be in a metal cassette, they shouldn't trigger the body scanner as you walk through and will also avoid the x-rays that the baggage is subjected to.

David

9. perkeo

perkeo Well-Known Member

david.....i think the potential for 'accidents' during the fiddly procedures of unloading/loading/unloading/reloading into the original cassette for processing and the loss of DX coding on the film cassettes (unless you introduce another step of re-labelling) etc - makes your suggestion impractical for the majority of users.

perks

10. sinister

Good idea David, untill you leave a small amount of change in one of your pockets and they decide to do a "pat down".

As for secreting them about ones person. Just wait till Big Will wakes up.

11. Lounge_Lizard

>As for secreting them about ones person. Just wait till Big Will wakes up.

You mean his exhaust pipe...?

David

12. Lounge_Lizard

Maybe it's back to shooting digital then.

David

13. sinister

LOL /img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

Once again, welcome back.

14. Lounge_Lizard

Well he was advocating aperture priority in the Lounge.

David

15. sinister

Now, now , now.

16. NDoyle

NDoyle Member

Re: N. Doyle : re: B&W d&P

Thanks, Jack! Message received & replied to.

--Noreen

17. NDoyle

NDoyle Member

I'll be more than happy to, Mike.

--Noreen

18. NDoyle

NDoyle Member

Egypt is going to be an experience on many levels. I have a longstanding interest in anthropology as well as archaeology (in fact, my undergraduate degree is a double major in anthropology and art), and I suspect that modern conditions will be (almost) as interesting to me as the antiquities. But I will probably be confining my photographic activities to the latter, on account of the difficulties often written about. Perhaps, however, opportunity will present itself, _inshallah_! :)

19. NDoyle

NDoyle Member

I contemplate rather than pray, but nevertheless all the victims of this most unfortunate state of affairs will be foremost in my thoughts during that time.

20. NDoyle

NDoyle Member

Ah-ha! That's a great idea, David. If I had a darkroom and time to practice. . . . Next trip I'll give it a go with the higher-speed films.

--Noreen