1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hai from Dubai!

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by Yvonne_Dubai, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Yvonne_Dubai

Yvonne_Dubai Well-Known Member

Hello everyone,

I live in Dubai which is a great place for photography. Had a dSLR but it got stolen so have saved up for bigger/better and will be buying a Nikon dSLR in July. Can't wait. In the meantime I shoot with my Sony DSC HX1 and sometimes my shots are half decent. Will post some pics I took this morning.

Can't wait to meet other photographers.

C ya!!

Yvonne

2. Jacqui Jay

Jacqui Jay Grasshopper's Sage

Hello, Yvonne and welcome to the forum.

3. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Welcome, Yvonne.

I look forward to seeing your pictures.

Which Nikon DSLR are you thinking of buying?

4. Yvonne_Dubai

Hi Alex

I want to buy either the d5100 or d7000. I can do the 5100 with 2 lenses or the d7000 with 1 and then save again for another. Any suggestions??

5. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

They both have the same sensor, so the basic image quality should be similar, especially if you use raw format rather than JPEG. I believe the D5100 is a bit more beginner friendly (on screen help etc.) and has the swivelling LCD, whereas the D7000 has better controls (front & rear control dials so you can adjust aperture & shutter speed without pressing another button, and more dedicated buttons so you don't need to wade through menus), as well as more robust build quality and a faster burst shooting frame rate. If you think you might want to do any action shooting (sports, children etc.) the D7000 may be worth it.

However, one important consideration - if you haven't already, try to get to a shop where you can try them out in your hands, and check how comfortable they are to hold, how easily you can reach all the controls, how clear the viewfinder looks, and how logical the menus seem to you. A DSLR is a very personal thing, so it's important to get one that feels right.

6. Yvonne_Dubai

Thanks, that's a great help.

The main thing I photograph are my students. Not because that's what I like doing most, but because they keep e-portfolio's so we document everything they do. Very boring job I might add :rolleyes:... I find it very hard to take these pictures because they are (usually) indoors and I try to take pictures of them working so sometimes they're at odd angles.

When I take pictures of what I really like, it's macro's, landscapes, cityscapes, children. I'm not very good at portrait photography. No, let me rephrase... I'm terrible at portrait photography... I love taking pictures while traveling and animals are a must! Especially camels :)

7. Toast

Toast Well-Known Member

Hello from me... :)

8. Yvonne_Dubai

Hi Toast! :)

9. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Welcome from the UK (south east Essex bit). :)

I alway thought there was a issues with photography in Dubai?

They have put up some incredible buildings out there.

10. Yvonne_Dubai

As long as you dont take any pictures of people (unless with permission), police, army or security of palaces and such, you're fine. Also photography on beaches is a big no. However, buildings, souqs, old Dubai etc is all fine. It's quite a cool place to take pictures you just have to be aware of etiquette.
    Taking pictures in the desert is cool too as not many people realise that there is actually a lot there. I would show you some pictures of camels that I took, bit I'm a bit embarrassed by their quality. :eek:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  11. lisadb

lisadb Well-Known Member

Hi Yvonne, welcome to the forum. I saw a couple of camels in a field just outside Ashbourne in Derbyshire the other week. :D

12. Yvonne_Dubai

Hi Lisa, thx for the welcome. I don't know what it is about these animals but I just think they're so cool. :)

13. P_Stoddart

I think it is different in the green zone (american/western areas)?

Might have been easier to list what you can shoot. :rolleyes: :p

PS: Notice you list in your profile as a author, may we ask what work has been published?

14. Yvonne_Dubai

Hi yes you may ask that but I had my URL in my profile and that was removed. Now I'm slightly afraid to do any sort of advertising on here. Don't want to be kicked off the forum.

15. P_Stoddart

You can PM me if you wish with your titles. :) That is certainly allowed.

16. Yvonne_Dubai

Done :)

17. P_Stoddart

Have you ever visited the UK? Do you get the magazine out there in Dubai?

18. Yvonne_Dubai

Yeah I've been to the UK lots of times. I don't know if we get the magazine here, I'll
    Have to check the better book stores

19. P_Stoddart

I thought possibly because of the number of UK workers in Dubai they might have it stocked.

I believe there are download versions you can purchase online not sure if they are totally legal though could ask the AP Team if they know.

Nice if they get paid for their work.

20. Yvonne_Dubai

I can probably find the magazine in book world. I might have a look later today (As a treat for being a brave girl at the dentist lol).... I won't ever download an illegal version. I know how much work goes into publishing something and how little you get for it, so I'm not going to do that to anyone :) I bought a few other magazines that I found today so I've got enough to keep me going for a while.

I wanted to go out today and take some pictures, but it was overcast and I didn't know how to set my settings so I decided for the magazines and a cuppa instead :) dentist in Bout 2 hours..... Ugh....