1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Had a play with the New Pentax DLSR (KP)

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Done_rundleCams, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

the new KP …. the updated K3iiS …

the Ricoh Imaging Canada info:

http://ricoh-imaging.ca/en/products/cameras/KP/

The first thing I noticed was the grip, or lack thereof, where your right would grap on to :eek: The
    one that was on it was very flat and, apparently, there are 3 "grips" available of different sizes which
    struck me as a tad on the "odd" side! As well, they have brought back the BI flash and have a tilting
    screen and have the same "5 axis" shake reduction as the K-1. Another interesting feature is that the
    KP will come with 4 "preloaded" Custom settings and one that is free to setup to your hearts content :)
    The "preloaded settings" -- HDR, Macro, Manual Lenses, A fourth one(?) and an empty one -- can, as well,
    be deleted if you want to make up a few of your own custom settings :)

The camera had the 35/2.8 Macro lens on it and the focussing was nice and quick and, wooo hooo, accurate as
    It focussed through the glasses of the BC (Ricoh/Pentax) managers glasses and focussed on his eye :) One of
    the other step ups, I remember, is that the top shutter speed is now, 1/8000 :eek: ….. for whatever reason(?). I didn't
    check but, I think, the flash sync is still 1/180.

Aside from that, I can't remember too much … Oh Yeah, there is a new Vertical Grip/Battery Pack -- DB-G7 and it
    has only 1 SDHC/XC slot and, another odd thing, IMHO, is that it takes the same battery as the K-70, K-50, K-30 and
    the Kr, the Dl-109 as opposed to the Dl-190.

Cheers,

Jack

2. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Looks nice.

S

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  3. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Actually, I like that idea.

The problem I have with cameras with built-in grips, especially large ones, is that they move the shutter release button to the front of the top of the grip, which I find awkward to use. Even with a grip, I prefer the release to be in the 'usual' position.

Plus grips are not 'one size fits all' - I have small hands - so a choice of grip size/shape strikes me as a good idea.

4. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Pentax, and Ricoh, have a history of doing "odd", and quite often, the odd turns out to be good.

I think I read it as top shutter speed 1/6000s for the mechanical shutter, or 1/24000s for the new electronic shutter. I can't quite work out if that makes it a step up or down from the K3, the it looks like the sensor is the same.

One to watch, certainly, but I'm not sure I'll be upgrading my K3 anytime soon.

5. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

Did you see what ISO819,200 looks like?

6. Done_rundleCams

I don't know about, nice, Steve, but, definitely, interesting ;)

Cheers,

Jack

7. Done_rundleCams

I'm not sure if I like the idea or not, Steve (?), I probably should have popped on the 50-135/2.8 just to see how the
    flat(er/ish) grip felt with a larger lens on it. I'm guessing, I've just become so used to the comfortability, IMHO, of the
    normal Pentax (DSLR) grips that it just felt different. I compared it to when I had my MX/ME Super and was using
    my 24/2.8 and/or 50/2 lenses and, then, I picked up a (comparatively speaking) gigantic 200/2.5 lens and had that
    on the (relatively) small MX/ME Super bodies. Then, of course, I purchased winders for both cameras and the 200/2.8
    was much easier to handle ;)

As for the shutter release button, I just picked it up and was shooting with it and no big deal, but, I do wonder, now,
    if it would feel or be any different with the different grips attached? I guess, I'll have to wait and see. :eek:

As for hand size and grips, I still think, as mentioned, above, it might be more effected by lens size.

Cheers,

Jack

8. Done_rundleCams

Hi Alex,

Yep, sometimes, odd can turn out really quite well :) As for the 1/24,000 shutter speed, I guess, if you want shoot with a f/1.4 lens
    at a really, really high ASA, it might come in handy. :)

As for upgrading from your K3, at least, if you do upgrade to the KP, you'll still have a BI flash ;) where as, if you went to the K3 II,
    you wouldn't :eek:

Cheers,

Jack

9. Done_rundleCams

Sadly, Adrian, I didn't, but, I suspect, that, like the 1,000,000 ASA of the Nikon D3 and 1,600,000 of
    the Nikon D500, it wouldn't be (too) pretty ;)

Cheers,

Jack

10. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Still, if you really want to take pictures of black cats in coal cellars at midnight... :)

11. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Yes, the trick is to set up your camera, sort out the composition as far as you can tell in the inky blackness and then take a picture of the cat at ISO 1,000,000. You then check the resulting image to ensure that you're happy with the framing and, if it's OK, you then reduce the ISO to something more reasonable and take your ninety second exposure with a further ninety seconds for low light noise reduction and voila! Job done.

That's what the silly, noisy, high ISO is for, isn't it?

Cheers, Jeff

Done_rundleCams and peterba like this.
  12. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Just shoot the cat............pun intended.

13. Done_rundleCams

Or, Alex, cheat like me, when shooting rats at midnight … and use flash ;)

Jul01-08-AP-Rats-IMGP2509.jpg

Cheers,

Jack

14. Done_rundleCams

Or, Jeff, get a PK mount Voigtlander 42.5/0.95 lens and, instead of the 18-55/3.5-5.6 lens and bring your
    ASA down to a (more?) respectable 51K or, even, underexpose a bit and shoot it at 25,600 :D

Cheers,

Jack

15. Done_rundleCams

and, being a dog person, Brian, there is always that :D

Cheers,

Jack

16. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

17. Done_rundleCams

I don't know when I'll have access to the KP again :( so, here's a 51,200 ASA shot from my K-50 which is really ugly so, you
    gotta figure that the KP will be yards better at the same speed :D The photo was just resized to 800 X 533 …

Jan27-17-AP-Fri-JRSP1301 copy.jpg

Cheers,

Jack

18. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I see that Pentax still have replaceable focussing screens. Surprisingly having done so they don't show a frenel screen with a central wedge and microprism circle amongst the accessories.

19. Done_rundleCams

Tis a bit odd, L_N_G, I will admit :eek: But, having looked at the current bunch -- http://www.ricoh-imaging.ca/en/products/cameras/K-50/accessory-- I
    remember, back in my manual focussing days, my favourite was just a plain matte screen :) Of course, that was when I could focus manually and
    be (relatively) assured of a sharp image forthcoming ;)

Cheers,

Jack

20. PhotoX

PhotoX New Member