1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Had a fddle with a Pre-Production MX-1 about an hour ago

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Done_rundleCams, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

I just had a play with a pre-production MX-1 (black) model (courtesy of our Pentax-Ricoh Canada) and, yep, it's big(ish) and heavy(ish) and solid. At 12,800 it, at least the pre-prod model, is ugly noisy :eek: ... but that really doesn't surprise me :). At 1600 ASA, it is very acceptable and, lower, it's really skookum :) I'll post some pics when I get the OK from Pentax-Ricoh Canada :) If anyone wants to check out the instruction manual: CLICK HERE and, to me, page 75 was the necessity ... how to change to the aperture when in manual exposure ;)

Cheers,

Jack

2. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

This is one of those times when I should stand in front of the mirror and slap myself..!!

I'm probably cutting my nose off to spite my face but I can't warm to this camera. I've not seen one in the flesh and really I'm not bothered if I don't.

For the simple reason..... the name.

Not only is it sacrilege and defamatory to use God's own camera's name in vain, but Pentax have also used similar typeface.

A good camera it may well be. But an MX it is not......

:mad::mad::mad:

3. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Looks like they got confused at the Pentax marketing meeting. :p

Pentax MX was a SLR camera, with a eyelevel finder? :confused:

Not sure but doesn't the Canon S110 do the same/better job but in a tighter form factor? :confused:

http://camerasize.com/compare/#404,384

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-Powershot-S110-vs-Pentax-MX-1

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

It was indeed, and IMHO it's the best small, mechanical 35mm SLR ever made, a camera I really love. Similar to the OM 1, as a manual-focus, manual exposure system SLR that would take interchangeable backs, screens and motordrives, and had excellent, compact lenses, for me the Pentax just handled better. I love the OM, too, but the MX was my favourite, and I don't like Olympus's use of OM-D or this use of the MX name - to me, it's sacrilege. And yes, I know that's just me being very silly, but that's the way it is.

Possibly, but specs don't tell everything, and I'm sure this is a nice camera.

5. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013