1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Had a fddle with a Pre-Production MX-1 about an hour ago

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Done_rundleCams, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

I just had a play with a pre-production MX-1 (black) model (courtesy of our Pentax-Ricoh Canada) and, yep, it's big(ish) and heavy(ish) and solid. At 12,800 it, at least the pre-prod model, is ugly noisy :eek: ... but that really doesn't surprise me :). At 1600 ASA, it is very acceptable and, lower, it's really skookum :) I'll post some pics when I get the OK from Pentax-Ricoh Canada :) If anyone wants to check out the instruction manual: CLICK HERE and, to me, page 75 was the necessity ... how to change to the aperture when in manual exposure ;)

Cheers,

Jack

2. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

This is one of those times when I should stand in front of the mirror and slap myself..!!

I'm probably cutting my nose off to spite my face but I can't warm to this camera. I've not seen one in the flesh and really I'm not bothered if I don't.

For the simple reason..... the name.

Not only is it sacrilege and defamatory to use God's own camera's name in vain, but Pentax have also used similar typeface.

A good camera it may well be. But an MX it is not......

:mad::mad::mad:

3. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Looks like they got confused at the Pentax marketing meeting. :p

Pentax MX was a SLR camera, with a eyelevel finder? :confused:

Not sure but doesn't the Canon S110 do the same/better job but in a tighter form factor? :confused:

http://camerasize.com/compare/#404,384

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-Powershot-S110-vs-Pentax-MX-1

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

It was indeed, and IMHO it's the best small, mechanical 35mm SLR ever made, a camera I really love. Similar to the OM 1, as a manual-focus, manual exposure system SLR that would take interchangeable backs, screens and motordrives, and had excellent, compact lenses, for me the Pentax just handled better. I love the OM, too, but the MX was my favourite, and I don't like Olympus's use of OM-D or this use of the MX name - to me, it's sacrilege. And yes, I know that's just me being very silly, but that's the way it is.

Possibly, but specs don't tell everything, and I'm sure this is a nice camera.

5. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013