1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guidance please

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by pixelpuffin, Oct 11, 2017.

1. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

I'm not so arrogant to think I know best and would greatly appreciate advice.
    As my last few posts have clearly stated, I've downsized considerably in the past 12mths. Last year the bulk of my EOS and OM film gear went along with more than a dozen or so lenses all of which were either Canon or Olympus. This year I decided to have another go at cutting back. In the space of a month 4 camera body's and more than a dozen lenses have been cleared out.
    Using the paypal funds to experiment I've purchased and sold on 3 lumix offerings GF1, G2 and GX80 along with 20mm & 14-45mm.
    I'm currently left with GX-7 and G7 along with 14, 25, 12-32, 12-60, 45-200 and very shortly (tomorrow 14-140ii) I'm not keeping this lot, I fully intend to whittle it down to if possible 1 body (I'm being ruthless) and no more than 4 lenses...if possible I'd like to go as low as 3!
    I still have the 7D, 70-300L IS and 40stm - although its only use is football - Nothing else..EVER! Also Kept the 100mm L IS too, if only because I stupidly purchased it on Jessops 2yr 0% - Doh!!
    Also welcomed the Lumix TZ70.

Ok, the last few bits of Canon gear I now own, I'm happy to keep
    The TZ70....??? I still really like my battered old HX30. So its touch and go whether It stays or not. I'm honestly not too fussed, really dislike the puny EVF, much preferred the Sony HX80 EVF, but low light AF was dreadful as too was close focus beyond the 300mm focus length (3m minimum!!)

The Lumix, where to begin?
    Both GF1 and G2 went to fund the GX80 - hated the IBIS when the camera was switched off - it just knocks around inside the body, to the point that when picking it up to turn it on, I found myself trying to hold it perfectly still whilst the power on switch was activated, otherwise the thump of the loose IBIS was awful to feel.
    So it was returned in favour of the G7. Instantly disliked it the moment I picked it up. The EVF is incredible as is the AF focusing. But the light weight coming from both 5D and 7D just feel so wrong. Also its heavily biased towards video, (4K) and I'm almost certain I'll never get into cinematography, I'm more than happy with video off my humble sony HX30!
    Also, I'm getting so tired of the SLR style, it's all very serious looking and truth be said I no longer feel comfortable using it in public, people seem to stiffen up when they see the familiar viewfinder hump in the the centre of the camera..as I say it all looks too serious.
    The GX7 whist way behind the G7 in terms of modern features is actually very pleasant to use. I just love the abilty to pull the flash back in order to bounce off the ceiling - that's just genius. The heavy magnesium body feels great when trying to hold steady, speaking of which the 2 axis stabilization is not something to sneer at either. The EVF, whilst in no way in the same league as the G7 is preferable to me for being off set and allowing me to keep both eyes open.

Lenses, this is the main problem for me. I would like to keep the 25, if only because of the ability to shoot wide open and throw back ground out of focus. The 12-32, 12-60, 45-200 and 14-140 is my concern and is what I would like advice on.
    The lumix kit, is going to be my own personal toy, the HX30 is for family days out and the 7D for sunday soccer. But the lumix is simply my own personal indulgence, for times when I want to take good quality pictures of whatever comes into my head.

Any advice

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I don't understand the agonising. Stick the lot in a box. In the next 12 months, if you take it and use it. Keep it. Else chuck it.

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

What Pete said ^^^^^^^

4. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

If you think that a GX-7 is good enough for you, stick with it. There is quite a big jump in price to get a GX-8 with its newer sensor technology.
    12-32 kit lens is quite good as kit lenses go, plus it telescopes down nice and small if you want to slip the camera into a large pocket. Youcould try the 12-35 f/2.8 zoom lens as a better "standard zoom" but even used, they are very pricey and much larger/heavier than the 12-32.
    The 14-140 is also OK (IMHO) as far as superzooms go; I believe that there are 2 versions. I picked up a used older one a couple of years ago. It does not get much use, but for situations where you want just one lens, it is more than adequate for my needs.

That just leaves you to decide how many primes you want..........

5. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies everyone

@ PeteRob - We're in the process of going minimalist. 20yrs of hoarding has pretty much filled the house, garage, shed, shed#2, shed#3, loft, garage loft etc etc. We're both absolutely sick of it and hence the MASSIVE purge throughout. I had around 40-50 optics be it telescopes, spotting scopes, monoculars, binoculars...I'm now down to 8!
    The garage is chockablock full of tools, cordless,110v ,240v then everything is triplicated!! It's ridiculous. I'm not far of fifty these days and we both now realise we have amassed far too much stuff. Hence why I'm being ruthless in stripping back to the absolute minimum without sacrificing too much quality. If I have regrets later, I'll buy back and at possibly a cheaper price and more modern too. We have 2 living rooms (1 is an extension) It''s rammed full of books, CD's, DVD.s I cannot remember the last time I listened to a CD or watched a DVD everything is now either on my ipods, Netflix or Firestick. The books.(several hundred of em'!!) I cannot remember the last time I looked at one...probably years ago. Now If I need to know something I go online or ask Siri. It's all changed, and I want to move on, join the present and leave the past behind. It's been great, but I/we want change.

@IvorETower The 14-140mm is the mk2 version. If it's regarded as superior to the 45-200 then the 45-200 must go. 12-32 sounds good for compactness but deciding between the 12-32 and 12-60 is one that I can't workout.
    The GX-8... pretty certain it's got the same silly knockabout IBIS that the GX80/85 had, in which case I don't want it, plus it's got no built in flash!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017