1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Green-eyed cats - simple correction technique

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by Rupert49, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Rupert49

Rupert49 Well-Known Member

Like many of us on this forum I love cats and take pleasure in photographing them at every opportunity. One of the more annoying problems (apart from the fact that they tend to keep walking towards you when you want them to stay put) occurs when using flash. Cats' retinas are different from our own, enabling them to 'see in the dark' which frequently leads to their own special version of red-eye when flash is used. The resulting effect is a rather unnatural translucent green which can make them appear either evil or blind, depending on your point of view.

Having experimented on numerous cat pictures afflicted with green-eye, I have developed a simple technique (combining a few hints and tips from articles on the subject) which seems to work well under most conditions, so I thought I'd share it here ...

Open image in editor workspace, zoom into one eye, select lasso tool, select 7px feather, outline the offending green pupil. Select Hue/Saturation, move saturation slider to far left (-100%), move lightness slider to left until density of pupil looks about right (not too dark or the poor animal will look really evil!). Click OK and repeat with other eye. Then continue with normal post processing workflow.

Below is an example of my own humble effort to correct the green-eye on my daughter's much loved and now sadly missed old cat Arthur. The photograph was taken using bounced flash, which explains the slight shadowing effect under his upper eyelids. I only used the steps outlined above and didn't overdo the lightness slider, so there is still the faintest hint of the original green, but I think you'll agree that his eyes look far more natural in picture 2 ...

[​IMG][​IMG]