1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by MickLL, Dec 9, 2018.

1. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Any advice please.

My computer isn’t displaying anything on the monitor. It doesn’t display on a spare monitor either.

I get no display if I plug monitor into the inbuilt graphics.

Question- does plugging a graphics card into slot turn off the MoBo graphics.

Any other ideas what might be wrong?

The machine seems to be working - fans running etc..

Finally it’s Win7 pro.

MickLL

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

So have you just added a new graphics card or has the monitor just failed to come to life? I suppose with all the plugging and unplugging you checked that you are looking at the two ends of one cable and not the two ends of two cables? Try a second cable if everything else looks OK.

3. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Not a new card. Only one cable I’m afraid so no question about ends.

One thing I’ve discovered is that, while I was out, my Grandson turned the computer off and on at the mains. It apparently stopped working after that.
    MickLL

PS monitor is alive and displays it’s menu correctly and scans for signal but doesn’t find one.

4. PeteRob

That doesn't sound very encouraging, especially if he flicked it off and on. Have you tried turning it off (not using the mains plug this time), leaving it five minutes, then turning it on again? I fear something has blown. I haven't been inside a PC for years but there may be a surge protection fuse inside that has gone.

5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

As you've checked the monitor is working and the computer is making noises, try...
    1. switch off the computer and the monitor
    2. wait 10 seconds
    3. turn on the monitor
    4. confirm the monitor is powering up
    5. turn on the computer and check to see if the BIOS message comes up on the monitor
      1. if so: wait to see if Windows comes up
        1. if so, let Windows load fully
        2. log on
        3. let the log on complete
        4. check it all looks OK
      2. If not: come back and tell us what did happen.
    6. If not: come back and tell us what did happen.
    best of luck

6. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Thanks Andrew. Here’s what happened.

Turn on monitor and it shows the screen message indicating that it’s cycling through it’s inputs looking for a signal.

Turn on computer and get all the usual noises. No unexpected beeps or other sounds.

At this point the monitor usually indicates that it’s found an active signal at its first port (AV1 I think) and we go from there.

Instead of that the monitor cycles a few more times and then says it’s going to sleep - indicating that it hasn’t found a signal.

That’s it!

MickLL

7. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Is it possible that your beloved grandson also disturbed some cables?

I had a problem like this with a printer recently, and eventually found out that the signal cable from the PC to it was faulty (presumably a broken connection in the fitting at one of the ends). This would also explain why the monitor's own setup menu displays, but the PC cannot 'see' it correctly. A replacement cable and all was well.

Also, perhaps a lock on the door or some other way of keeping your grandson off the PC when not supervised?

8. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Sort of sorted !!!
    I removed graphics card and that made the motherboard inbuilt graphics come to life so I can now use the machine.

I now need to find a graphics card and install it.

MickLL

9. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

I would turn off the computer and re-seat your original graphics card, plug your monitor cable back into the graphics card, power up the computer and see what happens

10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Seconded. Don't forget to disable onboard graphics in the BIOS though.

11. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Both my PCs use AMD processors with 4CPU cores and 8 GPU cores, I've not found any need for a grahics card; I don't do any gaming, I don't see what - if any - improvement I could get using a graphics card??????

12. PeteRob

I don't suppose it makes much difference whether it is part of the motherboard or on a separate card. The main thing is that a separate graphics processor with its own memory takes the load off the main processor. I thought most systems would now have a built in GP, but older ones might not have.

13. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Genius!!!! Did as you said and it worked. Thanks so much

MicvkLL

peterba and Derek W like this.
  14. Derek W

Nice one, happy to help :)

15. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Maybe it was the couple of kilos of dust I 'hoovered' out of the machine!!

MickLL

16. Derek W

Always a good idea to give ones computer a good clean out now and then

Also don't stand you computer on a carpet, or the floor in general for that matter, place it on a desk

17. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Unintended consequences.

Because of you kind folk I have now attained some sort of cult status.

My Grandson witnessed the repairs (first time he's seen the inside of a computer) and now thinks me some sort of superman for fixing it. He's told his friends and they now seem to hold me in great esteem.

Thanks for the 'leg up' guys . It's nice to be in a little boy's good books!!!

MickLL

Derek W, Benchista and daft_biker like this.
  18. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Reality is most PC support is turning it off and on again, if that doesn't work, reseating components (with the occasional replacement), and the odd driver update.

So you pretty much ARE Superman. ;)

19. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

re-connected a disconnected set of hj-fi separates earlier this week. One less fire hazard as a half full vacuum cleaner cylinder indicates...