1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphic Cards

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by velocette, Nov 29, 2018.

1. velocette

velocette Well-Known Member

My current graphic card is beginning to play up in spite of the latest manufacturers drivers being installed and I was wandering if any of the more conversant IT 'buffs' here could suggest a possible, maybe alternative replacement. The present incumbent is a Nvidia GeForce GT710 and is used purely for photographs via Lightroom and occasionally Photoshop. I never play games or watch or edit videos so anything too extreme, or expensive would be wasted on me and my i3.
    Thanks for any sensible(!) suggestions.
    Peter

2. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I just use a NVIDIA GF119 GeForce GT 620 no problems. A high end graphics card is not needed for editing photos.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  3. Andytw

Andytw Well-Known Member

Assuming that you are talking about a desktop computer then a like for like replacement should cost around £30-£40 and just be a straight swap, just check that the card you get has the video outputs that you need.

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I've no idea about specific recommendations but the memory on the card can affect performance of image processing programs. The more the better.

5. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

It makes sense to get a bit of extra memory and a dedicated GPU but only up to a point. If you are not planing to play the latest first person shooters then it is not worth paying a fortune for the card.
    The NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 looks to be popular at the moment as many of them have been tailored for video/photo editing. Just look for a mid tier graphics card that has editing features the price should not have to be to bad.

6. velocette

velocette Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys I'll have a look.
    Peter