1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Granddad's Camera

Discussion in 'Other Brands & Accessories' started by William Parker, Apr 2, 2018.

1. William Parker

William Parker Well-Known Member

[​IMG] I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, however it seems as good as any. Many years back my Maternal Grandfather mentioned he had built a camera from plans in a camera magazine and I'm pretty certain he said it was Amateur Photographer. After a bit of nagging he did eventually give it ti me but it wasn't in working condition but I suspect if i had not have survived.
    It is an SLR and I think it might be a quarter plate? It certainly doesn't take film. The mirror would have to be locked up, once the focus and composition was set, so a tripod would be mandatory, it has a focal place shutter with a maximum speed of 1000/sec badged as a 'Ruby Focal' by Thornton Pickard, it seems the plate holder is missing, although I might have it somewhere and the lens is an R&J Beck 6 inch F4.5 Neostigmar. What I wondered is there any way anyone could varify if it was built to an A.P. plan? Did A.P publish plans? I would imagine it would have to date from the 20s

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

3. William Parker

William Parker Well-Known Member

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Indeed. I wonder if the BL has AP on microfilm. That would be the only way really to scan a decade or more of issues. I can't see them letting out more than a couple at a time of originals for loan. You could inquire. If your local library doesn't still have a microfilm reader you'd probably have to go to London.

William Parker likes this.