1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good news on Brexit!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Roger Hicks, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

It will be "survivable", says Liam Fox. From The Graun,

Liam Fox, the international trade secretary, told the BBC that the government was “unlikely” to win the vote on May’s Brexit deal tomorrow night. He also said that a no-deal Brexit would be “survivable”, and far preferable to cancelling Brexit, which he said would be “a disaster from which we might not recover”. Referring to what the Tory pro-European Dominic Grievesaid on Friday about a no-deal Brexit, Fox said:

I don’t regard no-deal as national suicide. This is not Dunkirk, this is leaving the European Union.

We need to find ways if there is no deal, of mitigating that. But the best way to do it is to accept the deal that the prime minister has negotiated. It gives us a way of leaving the European Union with minimum friction.

I think no-deal would damage our economy - I’ve been frank about that - but I think it’s survivable.

I think no Brexit, politically, is a disaster from which we might not recover.

Interesting that by implication, Dunkirk was national suicide; interesting too that like most Brexiters his main frame of reference in WW2. But even so: SURVIVABLE! What more could anyone ask?

Cheers,

R.

saxacat, peterba and steveandthedogs like this.
  2. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Always did use Newspeak.

S

3. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Well... that really is a great comfort. :rolleyes:

4. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I knew all along that we remoaners were being over-critical, as they the leavers say, what can possibly go wrong to make our lives worse than under some Johnny Foreigner ruler

Roger Hicks likes this.
  5. Lindsay Pennell

Lindsay Pennell Well-Known Member

Of course he is talking abut the effect on the Tory party, not the country. In that context, the Tories would "survive" no-deal Brexit, but if the Tories are in power when (hopefully) Brexit is terminated, they will likely not survive and, like Labour, probably split into two parties, one potentially electable and the other not.

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Actually, I think it's a no-deal Brexit that they won't survive; the electorate will not forgive anyone for that, when the full catastrophe becomes apparent. Their only real hope now is a second referendum - it's more in the Tories' interests than anyone else (except the country, of course).

Mark101, saxacat, RogerMac and 2 others like this.
  7. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

WTO trariff on our beef exports being 40% and that's just for starters. Only developing nations need to use WTO trade rules.

8. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

We will just have to eat more British beef, including the awful(offal) bits and less continental veg and salad.

9. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Tripe cooked in milk anyone ... runs screaming.......

10. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Is that a verdict on the brexiter drivel?

peterba likes this.
  11. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

100,000 tonnes more.

12. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Well, it looks like the Mayfly might not survive.

Trannifan likes this.
  13. steveandthedogs

That I could live with, as long as the replacement isn't Fox, Johnson, Gove or Mogg. Or one of that ilk.

S

Trannifan likes this.
  14. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

If we cross out all those we don't want we'll be left with the Downing Street cat.....

RogerMac, Geren, dream_police and 2 others like this.
  15. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I think that would be a very popular choice.

16. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Only if he's any good at getting rid of rats and other vermin;)

peterba likes this.
  17. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I was assuming that had been done already by the time we got to the cat. ;)

18. steveandthedogs

Yes, and? I like cats, very sensible creatures.

S

19. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well they're arrogant, selfish and impossible to push in the right direction, so they're well qualified for this job...

RogerMac, Trannifan, peterba and 3 others like this.
  20. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever is left, however improbable, must be the truth. (Sherlock Holmes) Who does that leave?

Roger Hicks likes this.