1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good Grief Windows!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SXH, Jan 12, 2019.

1. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

OK, anyone else installed the latest Windows 10 feature update?

I started at 13:20. It finished at 17:20! OK, I don't have the fastest PC/broadband in the world, but an hour just to download it, two to install it and fifty minutes of restarts to set it up? It only took about that long to install it in the first place.

Still, it gave me time to make and drink a couple of pots of coffee, clean the loo, do the i sudokus and half the cryptic crossword, prepare and eat my evening meal, and a couple of other things!

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

no, but thanks for the info. I only have win 10 on a laptop which I use for business travel so good to know it is a big update. It's a pain if it happens while actually travelling. The Win8.1 update was quick this month.

3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I rarely use my Windows computer now and it is no longer connected to the internet. My dislike of W10 is fairly deep and I found the updates very frustrating as they were wiping my printer drivers, that is just for starters. I actually ended up disabling updates.

4. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Win 7 with updates disabled works fine for me.

Jimbo57 likes this.
  5. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Which version of Windows 10 are you on, Steve? My update worked fine on the 9th, I'm on version 1803.

Mike: I reckon it's best to do the updates for the sake of security if nothing else, running a fairly standard home PC I've had no issues with Windows 10!

6. Jimbo57

Jimbo57 Well-Known Member

On my old PC (an i7, 16Gb model), I "upgraded" to Win10 and hastily downgraded back to Win7. Last year I upgraded my PC to a Chillblast i9 with 32Gb and an SDD and a graphics card and it came with Win10. On the new PC it seems to work fine but I suspect the problem is that many older low-spec PCs (like my previous one) are simply not up to running Win10 efficiently. But Microsoft never told us that!

7. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I am going to try it on my laptop. It connects to my router by WiFi, and the router connects to Virgin on a supposedly 100 whatsit contract (Actually achieves more than that at most times). This machine is on Win 7 and is not compatible with W10.

8. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

My PC came with W10. And worked fine to begin with. I think W10 is getting a bit bloated.

AlanW likes this.
  9. Learning

I last used the laptop yesterday and when I shut it down the options included update and shut down; I accepted that. Just now a slight delay for configuryng windows. The fan blew lots of hot air. No big deal. Its running ok.
    This Win 7 machine did seem to work with W10 until I tried to make a Win 10 boot up disk to use with recovery backups. The Recovery disc would not boot. I suspect that the problem was not the machne hardware but the board firmware. An update, from Dell, exists, but I cannot download it because I am out of support contract.

10. Learning

Windows got a bit bloated at Windows NT!

11. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Oh, the memories!

12. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Mine may be playing tricks but didn't the Windows 3 release fit on six 1.44MB floppies?

13. Learning

Dunno. I was working at that time. I was more interested in Sunnos or Solaris, or maybe HPUX.

14. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Can't recall, pretty sure our windows 3 PC had back up disks sealed in an envelope with a warning, didn't count them.

15. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Main reason for sticking with 7 is some of my software is a bit dated, one has to run in a virtual XP,at 84 I can't be bothered changing any and starting a new learning curve, what I have does all I need.

16. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

new printer installed a couple of weeks ago, so we had new broadband earlier in the week and also W10 update; now why doesn't the printer work anymore.....?

17. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Most of my stuff at that time was HP-UX - partly because I was actually working at HP in Bristol for a while. ;)

18. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

True, but with W8 it got a lot better because, I think, it was designed to run on portable devices so they made it leaner and smaller.

19. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Was it any better after the upgrade? I don't think any of our pcs have yet been upgraded.

20. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Dunno, my copy was on 5 1/4 " floppies...

Roger Hicks likes this.