1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going back to the mid-late 1980's.

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by The Monopod, Mar 9, 2018.

1. The Monopod

The Monopod Member

I think I can remember when the Canon T90 was the camera to have, it was impossible to buy a new one and they very rarely turned up for sale, not long after, Nikon brought out the F401? iirc, one magazine reviewed it and stated, "it'll take a picture of a black cat in a coal house during a power cut, as the flash would sync at 1/4000th of a second."

Am I right or was I just dreaming?
  2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  3. The Monopod

The Monopod Member

Thanks Pete, it might not have been the Nikon, but something else. My brain isn't what it used to be, I had a seizure last October and I've lost a lot of information in my braain and no doubt some of it has been well and truly scrambled. But I'm sure there was a camera with a very fast flash sync.

4. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

The 1987 Olympus OM-4Ti when using the F280 flash unit can synch at all shutter speeds up to 1/2000th sec. So I expect Nikon had an equivalent system. Basically it's a pulsed flash.
  5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I think focal plane shutters max out at about 1/250s, with 1/200 typical today, and leaf shutters at 1/500s. The so-called high-speed flash works, as Roger said, by extending the flash duration so that it exceeds the exposure time. I know this his set on the flashgun but whether a HSS flash also needs the camera to be aware of it I don't know.
  6. The Monopod

The Monopod Member

The 1987 Olympus OM-4Ti when using the F280 flash unit can synch at all shutter speeds up to 1/2000th sec.

Well Roger, I think you may have hit the nail on the head there, I had a friend with the very model of Olympus you refer to, he bought an OM-4Ti second hand and it came with a lot and I mean a lot of extras, iirc, he came to my house and we searched through my AP magazines to find out what he had purchased, looking at the prices shops were charging for used equipment, we calculated he'd bought over £1,500 worth of gear for £250, so he was a very happy camper. Like I mentioned, my brain does not work like it used to, so some information may be vague or mixed up.

Cheers again.