1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Go big or go...mirrorless?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by NotAnotherUserName, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Digitalmemories

Digitalmemories Well-Known Member

Unless you need water resistance (which you may for hiking?), then the Fuji XT20 is worth considering. The Fuji lenses will also be smaller than their full frame dslr or Sony equivalents.

If you want weather resistance, then I'd recommend a used xt1 or xt2 with the new compact water resistant primes. The Fufi water resistant zoom lenses are large and costly.

But if ease of handling and value for money are high priorities, then go for an X-E2 and upgrade the firmware for free via the Fuji site, and this makes the older model X-E2 the same as the current model X-E2s.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Be aware that for some X-E2 updating from Firmware 1.x to 4 disabled the usb port. Fuji fixed mine for free but the standard charge at the time was just under £100. Only important if you download images by cable which is my practice.

3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I handled both the XT-10 and XT-20 and found them somewhat too small for my medium size hands. The real bargain is a used X-E1, virtually identical to the later model XE-2 once it has the latest firmware. The XF lenses seem to be consistently excellent, certainly there seem to be no dogs hiding in there.

4. Digitalmemories

Digitalmemories Well-Known Member

Yes, I also found the XT10 and 20 too small for my hands. The X-E1 takes nice images (some prefer the series 1 sensor to the later ones), but the focus is slow and poor in low light. X-E2 was a worthwhile upgrade in my view

5. All right, the website I looked at seem to be outdated. I have been handling a few Sonys in the store but they haven't really been to my liking. I'm going with Fuji instead!

Yes, even though weather sealing is not a necessity it is very comforting to have. I've also made the decision that I'm only gonna use primes (in the beginning at least) since they do have the pros that you mentioned. Also, I think it will be a bit challenging for me in the beginning to not be able to zoom out of laziness. Hopefully it will help me put more thought in the photos and make me a better photographer in the long run.

I tried a couple of models in the store. I won't go for XE models, I do want a viewfinder. The XT-10 was a bit small for my hands to, but that could be solved with a battery grip. However I felt that the slightly larger viewfinder and weathersealing for only about 100£ extra was really worth it and yesterday I completed a payment for a graphite Xt-1 body with very light use. I'll probably go to Jessops and get me a brand new 35mm F2 for about 340£. I've also been thinking of getting the 12mm Samyang but I will have to wait a while for that wide angle bad boy.

Digitalmemories likes this.
  6. Just a quick update, I did go for the Fuji X-T1 graphite. Bought the body used and then a brand new 35mm/F2, also graphite, to start with. Shortly after I got the 12mm Samyang and now only a few weeks ago I got me the 18-50/F2.8-4. So far I'm loving the Fuji! Haven't looked back once since I acquired it. JPEG output is outstanding, great ergonomics and the ease of use make me understand why it's widely regarded as bringing back the fun in photography.

So far it's accompanied me to different places around Northern Ireland and Dublin, and Scotland. That was the reason for me getting the kit zoom, I wanted something versatile for my 6 day roadtrip on two wheels. I brought the kit zoom, Samyang and some spare batteries, which all could fit in a waterproof shoulderbag which made it very convenient to stop along the road and just blast off a few frames.

Digitalmemories likes this.