1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Go big or go...mirrorless?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by NotAnotherUserName, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Rather soon I will be getting me a new body since my D7000 is almost worn out. I have been very pleased with it, the ergonomics are great, I find the IQ to be fantastic most of the time and it's great value. However, since I enjoy hiking and street walks it does sometimes feel a bit obtrusive. At the other hand, it's versatile and so far it's gotten the job done wether it's landscape or wildlife photography.

I've narrowed it down to three choices:
    A: Going fullframe, a D600/D610 is what I've kept my eyes on lately. About the same weight/size as D7000 but double sensor area and 50% more pixels. More expensive, would probably start of with a 50mm prime and later on get me a proper wide angle. Better low light performance, which could be useful for doing handheld landscape in sunset/rise even though for most occasions I'd bring a tripod. Would still be a large camera but hopefully the increased IQ would make it worth it.

B: Going for a D7100. Probably great choice, no low pass filter and about 100 grams lighter. I can also keep using my Sigma 18-35 Art which is my favourite lense. Not very exciting choice since it's basically the same camera as I have and it would still feel to large at some occasions.

C: Which is most exciting at the moment, Fuji! From what I gather it's about the same IQ as D7000 in an XT-1 or similar but smaller package and more retro-feeling which is something I've been longing for. I would get a stealthier camera for street photography and more portability increases the likelihood of actually bringing the camera for non-photo activites and locations. Don't know too much about the different models they carry since I've been a Nikon fanboy so far...

My main interests include landscape and street/travel. Would prefer IQ over high frame rate and other sports-related qualities.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Go big and mirrorless with a GFX50S!

3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

What is your basis for considering your D7000 to be almost worn out?

Any of your choices seem reasonable and the Fuji cameras would seem to be capable of meeting your needs, they are certainly easier on the shoulder and back, if anything the 16mp variants are quality-wise at least the equal of a D7000. The lens range is pretty good now, with some excellent zooms along with some nice light and very sharp f2 primes. If you are a flash user the system lags well behind Nikon though.

4. Well, my Nikon keeps flickering with the light meter. It's like it's in bracket mode even when it's not. You take a picture and if autoISO is on it sometimes crank up the iso level through the roof, with blown-out skies etc. And even if I turn auto iso off the exposure will vary according to the light meter and I often have to guess the correct exposure and check my histogram all the time, even when it's not challenging light.

I will have a closer look at Fujis models cause that sounds exactly like what I'm looking for! I've barely used a flash so far so I won't be affected by that shortcoming.

5. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Interesting problem.

I must confess I am a firm fan of the Fuji system. In the past for my sort of photography Leica have always been my choice, however with digital I swapped to Nikon. I have owned several models and my photographic output dwindled proportionally with every new model bought. Eventually I gave up and then along came Fuji,

My love of photography was completely renewed, at last a non hernia inducing digital system without taking out a mortgage to replace my much missed Leicas.

I now have a XPro2 with a selection of prime lenses and a X100T, which is the best street camera ever.

I am one of the few who actually print, usually A3+ and can assure you that even the X100T at 3200 ISO can produce amazing exhibition sized prints.

If you are worried about IQ, and incidentally you give no indication of your final output, I think the latest Fuji cameras will knock seven shades of the proverbial out of your Nikon.

My only caveat would be, I like optical viewfinders and have no experience re Nikon mirror v Fuji EVF.

6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I was thinking something slightly smaller - a Sony A7. ;)

7. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

However good they are, Sony are very much an acquired taste... like Marmite.
    They also have almost no consistency of design ethos or continuity between models.
    Their choice of ergonomics and menu systems is sometimes inexplicable.
    However they get results and have their fans.

8. Not sure where you get that from, Tony? Whilst Sony's menu structure is an acquired taste, its pretty damn consistent throughout their range. Obviously it can't be identical, as different cameras have different features, but its a close as anyone could reasonably expect. I've had various Sonys, including an A55, an A77, an RX100, an A6000, and my main current camera is an A7Rii, and the menu structure in any of them would be understandable by a user of any of the others.

That is a damn capable camera, but I still use the RX100, and my wife's A6000 without difficulty. For now, 42mp, excellent low light capability and excellent focus ability do it for me. I'm aware that there is a coterie of folk who sneer at them, because its not a "proper" SLR, but I've never understood that.

9. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Return to the One True Path: film.

Your eternal soul will thank you for it.

Cheers,

R.

10. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Readers of this forum will know that a few years ago I was reunited with a motor car which I hadn't seen for fifty odd years. And in spite of it being the iconic sporting gentlemans carriage to drive it was a load of crap, despite being worth the ransom of a minor kingdom.

I have very much the same attitude towards film.

Craig20264 likes this.
  11. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Roger I trust/hope my eternal soul will have more important things to contemplate.

12. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Such blasphemy will see you cast into the outer darkness where only 3MP digital cameras may be found. :cool:

13. After giving it some thought, I must admit that I haven't printed anything larger than A3 and might not even do that. Most of my pictures end up as screen savers on various electronic devices. I do print some images in A4/A3 as gifts but that's pretty much it. So far I've been more than satisfied with the 16 MP the D7000 produces. I do however have some plan in the back of my head to some time in the future to make larger prints and have an amateur show (not sure that will ever happen, I just believe that it's better to have the option if I want to go through with my plans). Anyways, 16 MP should be more than enough for this but higher resolution also gives more freedom when it comes to cropping which might prove useful sometimes.

A neat camera which has all the functions I'm looking for - except proper wideangle lense. At least from my research all I found was a 24-something zoom as the widest option that will work with this new FF sensor type. Maybe they've released newer lenses too? I wouldn't be interested in using adapters and frankly the range of lenses is a bit too narrow and expensive for me, even used equipment.

I'm not to updated on Sonys range, what would be Sonys equivalent of a Fuji XT-1 or XT-10?

Anyways, thanks for all the replies guys. After watching some reviews on Youtube and reading on DX0marks I've more or less decided to go for a XT-1 since it seems to be the perfect compromise for me. Small and light, retro look with great IQ and decent range of sharp lenses together with weather sealing and the option to add a battery grip for extended battery life. Almost decided to go for that model and start off with the 16-50 kit zoom and later on add a sweet wideangle. Only thing that makes me doubt this decision is this ad: https://www.gumtree.com/p/digital-cameras/fuji-x-t10-16-50-lens-grip/1247034353

No WS and no possibility to add a battery in the vertical grip makes me doubt this decision, also the EVF is supposed to be a tad smaller and not quite as smooth performing(If that's not been solved with new firmware?). However the lacking ISO dial won't bother me. Needs to give this some thought since it's dirt cheap for a camera in that category.

14. PeteRob

There are so many XT-1s around I am sure you can do a deal with a shop. The XT-2 is supposed to be a huge improvement though. Avoid the XC lenses.

15. What's the problem with the XC lenses? The 16-50mm seems very interesting

16. PeteRob

Fuji's reputation for excellent image quality is built on the XF lenses which are very good indeed. The 2 (I think) XC lenses in the line up are their "budget" offerings and are not as good.

17. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The 16-50 is a lowish cost kit lens, not apparently too bad in performance terms, but it looks and feels cheap. Examples of the superior and nicely made 18-55 f2.8-4 can be had in the used market for sub-£300, these lenses are far better than the kit lenses sold with DSLRs.

18. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

A resounding endorsement, the 18-55mm is a cracker. And one of the best photographic bargains around.

peterba likes this.
  19. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I have the 18-55mm and can confirm that it is indeed an excellent performer, and is very well-built. Forget any thoughts of Canikon-style 'kit lens' build-quality - this lens is nicely-made.

I have read that the XC range has good optics, but distinctly lower physical build-quality - though I have no direct experience of this range. Lenses in the XC range also have no aperture ring, so the aperture is controlled by the thumb dial (IIRC).

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  20. For an APS-C equivalent to the A7 series, there are the A6000/A6300/A6500 cameras, and of course you can shar lenses with full frame users, (obviously taking the crop factor into consideration). Regarding your comment about shortage of wide angles for the Sony FE cameras, there are plenty, from zooms from 12mm upwards, to an 18mm Zeiss prime, a 25mm Zeiss prime (which I have, and its exquisite). There really are loads now, so best to check for yourself. Notice the huge price differential between the latest version of cameras, such as the A6500, and the older A6000 and 6300, and make your choice accordingly! My RX100 is the original version, purchased at about the time that the mark 3 had just come out, with one hell of a price difference...

Feel free to buy a Fuji, though!