1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Glass slides

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Tooslow, Aug 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Tooslow

Tooslow Well-Known Member

Can anyone please shed any light on glass slides? My wife has been given a collection of slides (guess who has to scan them) which I assume came from 120 film originally. The visible area is 54mm square so 6cm nominal? The puzzle (to me) is that most of them are glass. How did that work? Was that the deluxe option? Transfer from film to glass? I'm sure someone will know / remember.

Thanks,
    John

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Glass before film I think. Not old enough to remember.

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Before there was film there was glass. Glass was used from the beginnings of photography until at least the 1970s.

4. Tooslow

Yes but I'd be amazed if FiL used glass plates. These are very much family photos. Sadly he is now in that great developing lab in the sky so I can't ask him. Was there some process in the 60s/70s whereby your 120 slide film could be transferred to glass slides?

Thanks,
    John

5. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear John,

Are they actually on glass, or merely mounted in glass? Sandwiching film between two glass plates was perfectly normal.

Are they colour or mono?

Cheers,

R.

6. Tooslow

Aha! That's it. One is cracked and the cracks on one side don't match the other so, clearly, two pieces of glass. Thanks R.

ps. Colour.

Regards,
    John

7. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear John,

A single-edge razor blade, or a scalpel, is your friend. Unless you prefer to scan the mounted slides.

It is conceivable, though vanishingly unlikely in colour, that one side is a glass slide and the other a cover glass. But I don't think there have been colour plates in 80 years or more.

Cheers,

R.

8. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I still have a very few 6x6 slides mounted in glass. Though it was normal to mount transparencies that way in the 50' s and 60's
    By the 60's Gp glass and plastic frames were becoming more popular. Though professionals tended to put ones the intended for reproduction in between black paper masks in plastic sleaves. Just as they did 5x4's.
    "Lantern slide" glass plates for black and white projection, in sizes up to 3 1/2 inch square were available certainly into the 70's and were still in demand by medical and scientific photographers. They were usually used with a cover glass and masked and held in place and sealed with black passe-partout tape

9. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I must admit to a dislike of glass mounting, the theory is that it protects the film, in reality imho there is the possibility of glass breakage, moisture becoming trapped with associated issues and if you are attempting to scan there are an extra four surfaces to harbour dust and debris.

10. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Glass mounted slides never popped (forcing the projections to re-focus) and some clubs / completions insisted on them
    Also some said that they absorbed ultra violet etc. this lengthening , the !surprisingly short, time before the slide faded

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  11. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

There were some lovely Newton Rings though!

RogerMac likes this.
  12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

My family's business included advertising in theatres and cinemas. Originally, they used glass magic lantern slides, then glass 6x6 slides, and finally glass-mounted 35mm. I still have the Carousel that used to do Leeds Grand Theatre - they were perfect for the job with the timer module. I also inherited lots of glass mounts.

13. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

In my limited experience glass slides didn't hold the film in place ( at least the ones I tried) so that I'd project pictures including a row of sprocket holes.................

Lynn