1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Given an MZ-5 outfit

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by PeteE, Feb 7, 2013.

1. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

I was GIVEN an MZ-5 PENTAX with the 28-70mm SMC Pentax-FA series and the 100-300m SMC Pentax-F series lenses , first introduced in 1996 evidently -- well, I was surprised how 'Plasticky' it was -- nothing like the older MX and LX and ME Supers or of course the 'Classic' Spotmatics and SV --- the Pop-Up flash does not POP-up as previous owner had snapped off a small plastick lug holding up the flash and the 100-300mm Zoom does not 'Zoom ' ! The camera is 'DX Coded' but there is a 'Manual Over-ride' as I needed to 'fool' the DX coding to 100 ASA from the 400 ASA of the 1998 outdated Fuji Super G film I was using for preliminary tests.
    I read the RR Price was £ 599 odd in 1996 !! A HUGE fee for such a plastic camera ! I used the TTL flash metering with my Mecablitz 45CL3 with the Pentax module and it seemed to work OK and I had a small PENTAX 'Extra=Flash unit with built-in slave cell behind for some back -lighting which worked, I wish PENTAX had a higher flash synch speed than the 100th of the MZ-5 -- even my ME Supers go to 125th -- why not a 'later' model ? I used my 50mm f1.4 SMC Pentax-M series lens for a picture off the TV and it worked OK

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25850987@N03/8450460730/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25850987@N03/8450460666/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25850987@N03/8450460610/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25850987@N03/8450460826/

2. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Seem to recall there were big gaps between RRP, SRP & HSP/CSP {High St price or common selling price} back then. It was around that time that the camera makers realised they were killing their market with the camera price levels and started to bring them down.

Somewhat ironically this seemed to be led most strongly by Minolta :rolleyes: who had led everyone into the increases in prices at the end of the 1980s and, of course, - sadly - are no more! :(

PS. Perhaps I should point out before Benchista does that there is nowt wrong w'plastic, lad!:)

3. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

But go on - admit it - isn't it comforting to know that there is something you can always depend on? :D:D

4. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

What? Do you mean Tyler who, Wat, whichever being pedantic but occasionally wrong, wright, er ... Wrats! I mean Rats! right, whichever ...

... now see which what you've done?

You've turned me into Count Arthur Strong!

Augghh! IT IS Hotel California here .............. heeellllllp! ........... let me outttt!

5. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

Just now finished up a 24 exp 2005 dated 'TUDOR 100' actually FUJI which I downrated to 64 ASA -- I have taken it to BOOTS Brentwood High Street for some 'Professional D&P' rather than do it myself in C41, so I can see some prints -- I tried the non-zooming 100-300mm and the short zoom and my 50mm f1.4 SMC Pentax-M from my LX and used the non Pop-up flash held with a finger for some 'fill-in' flash ' --- let's see results on Saturday Folks !

6. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

I seem to recall I bought my MZ5n for something like £150 body only in its day. I hardly ever used it but it is a god camera. Won some awards, I keep thinking I should get out there with some film and do some shooting. My Z1p might have something to say on the matter.

7. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

I used own a MZ5 myself, it not a bad camera. Got some fairly good shot with it. :)

Last film camera I owned before the switch to digital.

8. Pontoneer

Pontoneer Well-Known Member

I remember buying my girlfriend an MZ50 back in the day ; I too was shocked , even as I examined it in the shop , at how light and plasticky it felt compared to my LX , MX etc etc , but I went ahead and bought her it since I felt she would at least want AF , and this still gave the option of using my K mount lenses . I can't remember what I paid for it , but the camera now resides in its box up in the attic somewhere .

I did subsequently get myself an MZ-S : that one is a proper Pentax which feels every bit as solid as my earlier ones and with the grip is one of the most ergonomically right cameras I have ever held - especially when holding it vertically for portrait shots .

9. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Sadly even the mighty k1000 was a victim of Chinese plastic in 1990. Production was moved from Japan to China to keep costs down, top and bottom housing plates went from aluminium to plastic, along with a few other bits.

10. johnriley1uk

johnriley1uk Well-Known Member

We're quite spoilt these days with some superb camera kit. Yes, the MZ-5 was plastic, but it did have a metal chasis and a metal cradle for the film plane to be held rigid. Many cameras of the day didn't.

In its day the MZ-5 and the later MZ-3 were highly sophisticated. The MZ-3 was top of the plastic body line and was introduced with the legendary 43mm f/1.9 Limited lens. This lens still works very well with DSLRs, outperforming much more expensive glass.

In terms of use I much preferred the MZ-5 to the earlier Z series as it lies more comfortably in the operational ethos of the M series cameras, which I was rather fond of. Many cameras of the MZ era were very clunky and made of quite horrible plastics.

11. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

John -- I am looking in my 'Complete Collection' of PENTAX CLUB magazines for that article you wrote about the MZ series - wife wanted me to DUMP all my magazines ! They are a bit spread out in house-- maybe that one is in the loft .

12. johnriley1uk

johnriley1uk Well-Known Member

The MZ article was split in two as I recall, which made the camera part a bit thin! The lens part was separated out into another issue. Anyway, if you're stuck I have the remaining hard copies of many of the issues so just let me know and I'll look at what's left.

13. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

I never purchased the MZ-5/MZ-5n, due to my PZ-1's, but sold a bunch and, one person, picked it up because it reminded her of her Spotmatic (shutter speed dial) and the fact that she could use her Takumar 55/1.4 and Takumar 50/2.8 macro lenses on it :) The automatic film advance and DX film coding were just a big bonuses :D

Cheers,

jack

14. Done_rundleCams

Hi Pete,

Have fun and looking forward to your pics :) Your "pop up" flash issue
    reminds me of my PZ-1 flash issue, at one time. For a while I couldn't get
    it to stay down -- had to use tape -- and then, for a while, I couldn't get it
    to pop up -- so I popped on a FTZ 330 or Vivitar 285 -- and then one day the
    flash went back to normal ?:confused:?

Cheers,

Jack

15. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

Come on Jack there's a certain blue pill if you're having problems in getting it to pop. You must have been a very popular chap when you couldn't get it to stay down. Apparently if it stays up to long it can drop off.

16. Done_rundleCams

;)

I tried that blue pill Frank ...but, be d@mned, if it didn't powder up and ruin
    the film plane :eek:

Cheers,

Jack

17. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

Re: Given an MZ-5 outfit-- Results of Prints

Here are some results of prints done commercially by Boots the Chemists, Brentwood High Street. I rated the 2005 outdated 'TUDOR' 100 (actually FUJI) at 64 ASA -- negs were a bit dense so I have rated second film today at 100 ASA.
    [​IMG]
    MZ-5 Prints 01 by pentaxpete, on Flickr
    135mm f4 Carl Zeiss Jena lens on Pentax Extension tubes, f16, Mecablitz 45CL3 flash + a small Pentax 'Extra'flash' unit from rear.
    [​IMG]
    MZ-5 Prints 02 by pentaxpete, on Flickr
    50mm f4 SMC Macro-Takumar lens, Mecablit 45CL3 flash, f11
    [​IMG]
    MZ-5 Prints 03 by pentaxpete, on Flickr
    50mm f1.4 SMC Pentax-M lens at f2, AV exposure with 'Spot Metering'
    [​IMG]
    MZ-5 Prints 04 by pentaxpete, on Flickr
    100-300mm f4.5 SMC Pentax-F lens at full aperture, hand-held, AV exposure.

18. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I seem to remember that the 28-70 f4 AL was actually rather good for a kit zoom, and constant aperture to boot. Main weakness of the camera body was the pop-up flash, the catch used to break, but it wasn't very costly to fix.

19. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

This has to be peeking out from what used to be called the Lion and Lamb yard. When I was at school I actually ran an old woman over right there on my bike on my way to my Saturday job at the Co-op!! That was in 1964 so she has probably forgotten about me by now. Buckled my front wheel though!!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  20. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

YES-- I was in the alleyway by what USED to be the 'Lion and Lamb' pub but is a 'Dorothy Perkins'shop now !! I have just finshed up another of the 2005 dated 'TUDOR 100' films and taken it for commercial processing to Brentwood BOOTS !
    ( I moved to BRENTWOOD in 1965 from East Ham )