1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Girl Power

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by AdrianSadlier, Oct 27, 2017.

1. AdrianSadlier

AdrianSadlier Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Girl Power by Adrian Sadlier, on Flickr

A beautiful, powerful young lioness stares down my lens with a look of disdain.

I felt a sense of power, pride but unfortunately also one of longing.

Longing for freedom, the Savannah and privacy.

Taken this morning for the Animal Portraits on Black series.

Does it make the grade?

Terrywoodenpic likes this.
  2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Just about. It's a great shot, but furry things are the very devil to cut out well.

AdrianSadlier likes this.
  3. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Personally I find the lower 3rd distracting, it just feels like it's cut out, which it obviously is, but it doesn't look natural.

4. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Great pic, but you need to go back and paint in some of the fur (on a different layer) before blurring it to the same extent as the rest of the image. I found the best way is to use a graphics tablet, and rotate the image in PS so that the natural movement of the wrist provides just enough flick to create the fur..........of course if you aren't using PS, then I am talking out of my bum.

A square crop, just taking off some of the bottom at the same scale would perhaps give they eyes a bit more impact, as they are beautifully captured.

5. EightBitTony

If I'm being *really* picky, up close it looks like the focus missed the eyes and hit the ear tufts.

6. AdrianSadlier

Guys

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure if it works or not - hence the question in the original post. A couple of clarifications:

It is not a "cut out" but a "burn in"
    There is no extra fur to paint back in
    The sharp focal range is from the tigers nose (notice the pin sharp whiskers) back to the ear hairs ipso facto the focus did not miss the eyes

The problem lies in the composition and capture of the image. The lioness is in a zoo behind a perspex window. There was an early morning fog and the condensation had not yet burned off. As the light was not great I had to go for a large aperture (f/2.8). As she was standing perpendicular to the lense the fall off on her fur was quite rapid thus causing the lack of detail in the fur. It was burned in at 1000% magnification and a small brush.

Here is the original RAW image converted to jpg.

[​IMG]

I think it works better cropped in further although the fall off is still evident.

[​IMG]

7. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

You got a lot out of a terrible shot!

8. EightBitTony

That crop is better, definitely. Can I send you across shots I got in Chester of some big cats behind a dirty piece of glass, with badly lit water with one of the cats swimming? Given what you rescued from that shot - you've got to be able to do something with mine! :)

9. AdrianSadlier

I'd love to have a go. Send a Dropbox or google drive link to the raw file and we can all have a go.

10. EightBitTony

Ah I was mostly joking :) I have a great memory of the moment, but the photograph is never going to be rescued (I missed the focus for a start).

[​IMG]Duck Duck Swim by Tony Evans, on Flickr

Beautiful beautiful creatures though.

11. AdrianSadlier

I'd still like to give it a go if you have a raw file.....

12. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

With the extra crop...:cool::cool::cool: