1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GFX100

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by SXH, Aug 11, 2019.

1. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Is apparently available for pre-order now - at £9,999.

Another site has some sample pictures. Be warned they are between 42MB and 64MB. Unsurprisingly, they are quite large and detailed. Seems to be pretty good, noise-wise, up to high ISOs too.

Still can't afford one, though.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Reviewed in AP this week.

3. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Unfortunately our local Smiths only stocks a couple of copies, usually gone when I get there.

And the on-line review is only visible if I sign up for a newsletter I don't want. Anyone want to summarize it, let me know if it has many full-size sample pics and so on?

4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Me neither, we'll just have to go for the GFX 50R "poverty model":(.

SXH likes this.
  5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I have an email address I use only for things like newsletters and it is easy to set junk filters on it.

From memory.

The example pics in the magazine won't help as they'll downsize (300 ppi gets you a print over 1 m wide) but the review describes the IQ of the results as awesome! Main pluses (review's plus) over the 50 MP cameras are the IBIS, AF and the viewfinder, some niggles on the handling, size of buttons etc. Dynamic Range is good. AF will cope with an approaching subject so hand-held use for moving subjects, like peole walking, is possible. The raw files are said to be 200 MB - surprises me as they started to compress them, they are smaller for my XH-1(24 MP) than for my XE-1(16 MP) , but could be a camera setting. On the other hand my Canon 5ds raw files are quite variable in size, depends on the subject, but say 75 MB for just over 50 MP.

The market isn't really discussed but I expect the camera is aimed at the Phase One market. Shooting adverts for wall posters is probably where you need 100 MP. Some wall-posters in shops these days will stand close inspection and you don't need to be stood 30' away any more to lose the grain.

I reckon IBIS and AF (from on sensor phase detection) in the 50 MP camera and a better evf will make an interesting camera.

6. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

If it's on sale now, then it's already obsolete because the prototype of the replacement probably exists somewhere and is currently being hurriedly changed to fix all the things that AP criticised. I think that the more an item costs, the more critical AP should be of design faults, and this review is a good example of that.

7. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

If you want to see what it can do there are full resolution images available here...

8. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I know - that's what the link in the first post goes to...

EightBitTony likes this.
  9. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

That's some rather crazy detail.