1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting no where with my image colours

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by Nikoboy, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Nikoboy

Nikoboy Active Member

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for all your input above.
    Before I go and start experimenting more using the Aperture Mode.
    Should I leave the ISO low and manually selective or as found yesterday the ISO can be set Auto in this mode.

2. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Honestly, there's no 'should' or 'must' or 'ought' in these things. Do what you like! Do what works for you. My advice would be try out one way, look at the results you're getting, decide if you're happy with them, and if not, by trial and error, work out what you need to change to get the images you were intending. Test out your camera's acceptable (to you) limits when it comes to noise and ISO. Yes, lower ISO numbers produce less noise than higher ones, but equally some cameras can produce noiseless or acceptably noisy images at much higher ISOs. You have to experiment with your camera to see what you think. If you leave things on auto, there's a chance that your camera will produce an image using a higher ISO than you're happy with. But it's digital. So unless it was your one and only chance to get a shot of that blue unicorn on ice skates - take it again on manual.

peterba, Roger Hicks and RogerMac like this.
  3. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Indeed. It helps to have some basic theory, in that it is likely to make it quicker to spot which trials are errors, but it's also possible to come to the theory via trial and error. Relying on theory alone -- especially on ill-founded theory which takes no account of the real world -- is a recipe for failure.

Cheers,

R.

peterba likes this.
  4. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

... just a small additional point on this: depending upon individual taste, luminance noise can sometimes be quite pleasing (chrominance noise rarely is), especially if, like me, you have an aversion to tediously "technically perfect" images.

Geren likes this.
  5. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Roger, your post put me in mind of a quote from the American baseball player, Yogi Berra - known for his witticisms - who came up with this rather satisfying comment:

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."

... which sums it up rather nicely. In fact, IMO, it sums up life rather nicely.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    Geren and Roger Hicks like this.