1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Get the website working first

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by John Anderton, Dec 18, 2018.

1. John Anderton

John Anderton New Member

When inviting people to spend time entering a competition to win an EOS R, it’s a good idea to make sure the website works first!
    No find address’ button appears after entering a postcode.
    That rather limits the numbers of people who can enter and win.
    It also will not accept user name and password even after resetting twice!

2. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Worked for me

3. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Took two attempts to register but worked OK then.

Try clicking enter or leaving the postcode box and see if that activates the find address button...

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Worked for me. Took a while to find though.

5. RogerMac

The site did appear that the site was different from the usual in that when I put the post code in it immediately found the house number so I assumed it was linked to the magazine circulation list

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

That's imagination for you! It (the address finder) will be a standard bit of software, found on lots of sites.

7. RogerMac

yes I know all about the address finding software as I have written such programs myself using the PAF data base but it does not alter the fact that this app found my house number - it must have looked that up from another data base, both the forum base or the mag subscription come to mind as possible

8. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

AARRGGHH! The PAF, the PAF! I remember the joys of writing code to interrogate it umpteen years ago. I'll be better soon (according to my doctors). :D

The house number can be retrieved from the 5th field and an individual's name can be retrieved from the 1st field if the PAF has been tied to an electoral register database.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    RogerMac likes this.
  9. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

We have has some problems with our website which have also affected all of the other websites in the company. There's nothing we can do within the editorial team but hope that the IT team fixes them quickly.
    I'm not sure if you're aware that AP's owner recently split from its parent company and this has caused many IT issues. Since 2001 we have been part of the American publisher Time Inc (well, originally AOL Time Warner, then TimeWarner, then just Time Inc) but Time Inc in the US was recently bought by Meredith Corp and they sold off the UK part (formerly IPC Media, and now a UK-owned company called TI Media). This has meant removing ourselves from all of Time's IT systems and servers for Finance, HR, Editorial and all the other departments, and setting up new systems. This has caused numerous IT teething problems across the company, of which I suspect the website issues are part. Hopefully this wont happen again.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  10. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Will the separation from Time Inc. cause any problems with UK subscriptions?
    I emphasise that there has been no sign of this, and all was very efficient before Christmas.

Some of us have had experiences like the one you describe. From personal experience, if a director of the new owners has a 'one to one' meeting with you and tells you you're doing a great job and your future is safe because they plan to 'invest in the UK operation', update your CV immediately in case you need it at short notice. I wasn't working in publishing, but in the IT department of a business that was profitable in the UK and Europe at the time. And if you were a member of a company or 'group' pension scheme, watch this very carefully.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  11. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

Thanks for the advice. There have been several such meetings, though not one to one. I think anyone who works in publishing these days lives with that possibility. I don't think this change should affect subscriptions though.

daft_biker likes this.