1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Geo location - what Nikon camera?

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by Skiingphil, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Skiingphil

Skiingphil New Member

hi, looking to buy a DSLR but unsure what feature/function offers a geolocation capability comparable to a IOS smartphone where the metadata shows not just longitude and latitude data, but human understandable location. Eg take a photo in London, the metadata will show “London” in addition to the longitude and latitude info.

Should I be looking at snapbridge or Wi-fi cameras?

Thanks in advance.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I'd guess that you only get that information on a phone because of integration of its GPS with another program such as a maps application which is standard on a phone but an extra on a dedicated GPS. handset. I'd think to use the information from a GPS equipped camera you'd need a computer and some extra software. A label like "London" is quite general. In the long term it is useful to get an image management program where you can add keywords that are more precise to your pictures. Organisation gets important when the numbers run into thousands.

I don't know the specific advantages of bluetooth over wifi other than bluetooth is supposed to have a low power requirement. Some cameras require direct pairing using wifi in which case there is no practical difference. I guess it all depends on what you want to do. I use a wire to connect my camera to a computer and although I have two bodies that are wif-fi capable they need direct pairing (i.e can't go through the network) so all in all it's easier to stick in a usb cable than mess about.

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I don't own a Nikon with GPS but when I did all it did was to append Lat and Long into the meta data (D1x with external GPS) but that was a long time back. It appears that only the D5300 has GPS built in (if I am wrong someone will tell us). Unfortunately only someone who has used one will be able to tell you what data is recorded.

4. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

The D5300 has GPS built in, but like other cameras does not locate anything such as 'London' - that is not what GPS is for.
    All the iPhone and other smartphones which can label in such a way use two things - the GPS and/or mobile mast sensor to locate the phone as a numerical system and tag this to the photo, and then another App of some sort to decide where those numbers coincide with.

Geo-Location can be seen clearly in Adobe Lightroom if one chooses to switch on GPS on a camera. Lightroom uses Google maps. When using the map module, it is possible to select photos taken within a given area and create a group (and then tag them) with the name of the area.

5. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

6. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Might be difficult - it has the foot/connector to mate with the Nikon-1 V1 or 2 (not sure about the 3) which is seriously weird.

I'm considering buying a used one for myself. Used, of course. (where's the Scrooge smiley gone...)

Another thing to consider with GPS is whether it is straight GPS, which can be a bit iffy in certain areas, or A-GPS.

ETA: According to Wikipedia, the D5300 has a-GPS, as do several of the Coolpix models. And A-GPS files are apparently available for the GP-N100

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  7. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

There is no real excuse not to use augmented GPS now, the chips and antennae are so damn small that not having it on would be daft.
    Some of the newer systems will also use Glonass (Russian) and some even have Galileo capabilities.

8. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

A few years ago I wanted to get something to tag where I’d taken photos with my Nikon D800, and I decided the Solmeta Geotagger Pro 2 was far more capable than the Nikon unit, while only slightly more expensive. It’s additional features included logging the direction the camera was pointing (using a magnetic compass, and assuming the unit is positioned on the hot shoe to fix its orientation), having its own battery (it reverts to the camera battery if its own runs flat), and coming complete with a wireless remote control, which I really value when using a tripod. In the field it will only display latitude and longitude (which is fairly tricky to locate precisely even on an OS map), but it saves files which I can open with Google Earth to show the whole route where I’ve walked, distance travelled, etc.

Solmeta now offer different units (https://www.solmeta.com/), including the GMAX, a bit bigger and heavier than the Geotagger Pro 2 due to a larger battery, which I think has resolved two of my three main complaints about the Pro 2; it has a more secure connector to the unit (the other end uses the 10-pin connector on a D800; alternative leads are available for different cameras), and will continue logging the path when not connected to the camera. I don’t know whether it can be set to display OS grid references.

Chris

9. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

VERY LATE response, but if you're still looking for geographic location names the Panasonic DMC-TZ20 does just that, except that it's a compact camera.
    Under favourable conditions it could tell me name of place, and if there's a golf course or similar. Did I use it more than once or twice? No! It's so slow acquiring satellites for starters, and then updating where it is. So I ended up with wrong locations added to my snaps. GPS must favour Japan, because I can't think of any other reason why it was marketed. (My Eos 7D Mk II GPS works, but is restricted to latitude & longitude info.)

10. IanG1957

IanG1957 Well-Known Member

I have the Snapbridge app on my phone, and despite all the horrible things people say about Snapbridge, it seems to work with my Z 6.

I ONLY use it for hassle free GPS info, and as far as I can tell the location data can be found in my jpegs after treatment, so something is working.

I stress the 'hassle free' as I have used wired GPS units on cameras before and they just seem to drain the battery more than anything else...

Learning likes this.
  11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

GPS systems use more power during initial alignment than when simply tracking their position, using the last known position speed up the process and reduces power consumption. It is in the nature of camera mounted systems that they are not regularly switched on at or near the last known position so they have to locate them selves from scratch. If the system switches off when the camera goes to standby then this process will be continued each time the camera, and thus the GPS, is woken up. For a walker the difference between the last known position and the new position will, normally, be small but other factors can affect the time taken to fix a position (some unique to walkers).

Simplifying that, the best type of GPS for a photographer is one that has its own power supply and can remain powered throughout the day thus only tracking its position. Hence a phone connected by Bluetooth should be less of a drain on the camera battery and, because it has access to a mapping database, better able to provide named locations.

None of which is any help unless your camera has Bluetooth and your phone can communicate with it. I find it much easier to have something recognisable in the first image of a place and let my wife keep a record of where we have been on a calendar. No battery drain what so ever.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  12. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I used to do that. Signposts and street signs are good or even a shop name these days. I can see that's a bit limiting if you're halfway up a mountain of course. :(

13. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I am using snapbridge for that purpose with D500, and Android 9 phone. The camera firmware and snapbridge app are both at the latest version.
    Snapbridge is now pretty good. It would be better if it could be paired with more than one camera at the same time. Also it would be nice to be able to set the timeout interval to power saving mode, and for snapbridge to clear the standing by notification when it issues the auto link disabled notification.

14. IanG1957

IanG1957 Well-Known Member

I agree but sadly this is a Bluetooth restriction rather than a Snapbridge one...

Despite the telephone app stating "waiting to connect" it doesn't actually do it unless I have turned the app "on", which seems a little redundant - if the app can see there's a camera (already identified) nearby, why can't it turn itself on? I have a similar problem with the pixies who iron my shirts...why can't they put them away as well?;)

15. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Are you sure about the bluetooth limitation? It is possible for an Android phone to simoultaneously pair (using bluetooth) with a camera, keyboard and mouse.
    Snapbridge waits to connect for an unspecified time, then it goes into power saving mode without clearing the "waiting" notification. Once in power saving mode you need to re-enter the app. I would like to be able to set the timeout interval explicitly.

I think that Snapbridge is now in a state where it does what it is supposed to. I am mentioning 'nice to haves'.

A new piece of documentation created by an expert in writing documentation (who learns from scratch how to make Snapbridge work) with aid from a project engineer would be helpful to users who have over the last couple of years got frustrated by the app.