1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest,

Apologies for the issues that you may be experiencing with the AP forum. While not ideal, it is reported that access can be gained by using Internet Explorer or MS Edge browsers. Hopefully normal access will be restored though perhaps not until Monday.
    Dismiss Notice

General Election On The 12 December

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Derek W, Oct 29, 2019.

1. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Can this bunch of Tory cretins get anything right?

S

peterba and Catriona like this.
  2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Still waiting...

peterba likes this.
  3. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

To quote a certain Professor Joad, it all depends what you mean by 'right'.

If by that you mean "dragging things out so that we crash out without a deal so they can make shed-loads of money selling off what's left of the family silver to their (American and Russian?) friends" I suspect that, unfortunately, they can.

steveandthedogs, peterba and Catriona like this.
  4. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Lynn

5. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Please don't hold your breath, Kate. We wouldn't want to lose you. ;)

steveandthedogs and Catriona like this.
  6. steveandthedogs

Catriona likes this.
  7. Catriona

Having ben accused of being rabidly prejudiced and unable to understand the opposite point of view (earlier), I am nervous of suggesting that this might not be accepted (or read) by leavers. For remainers? Of course, we are gullible as hell, and desirous of being under the thumb, so what do we matter?
    Can you tell I'm pissed off?
    Did you hear there's legal action pending because our leader has not put forward a nomination for a new EU Commissioner? Who do you think BJ will nominate? Putin?

steveandthedogs likes this.
  8. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I do not know if this is possible, but if it is then I would suggest Farrage.

9. steveandthedogs

Well ignoring stupid comments about Farage, I doubt if a leaver would bother to read anything which conflicted with their view of the sunlit uplands.
    Come on, leavers, what are the advantages of leaving?

S

proseak, Trannifan and Catriona like this.
  10. Catriona

If he was still alive, I would suggest Dave Allen.

Trannifan likes this.
  11. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

I have been enjoying watch wee video clips of James OBrian on LBC simply asking brexiteers what they voted for....sometimes its just cruel.

Graeme

steveandthedogs likes this.
  12. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

That is about as daft as my suggestion of Farage. Both would metaphorically raise two fingers but Dave Allen would somehow bring the Pope into it.

13. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Well as many of my relations are rabid leavers, I would say the clear, overriding, benefit (to them) is they have actually done something for once in their miserable lives.

14. Catriona

So true.
    By the way, are our politicians going to go around in Popemobiles now?
    This one was for sale. I wonder if anyone bought it back in 2016. Ha!
    ;)

[​IMG]

15. Catriona

Just seen this on FB (Philosophy Matters)

I agree.
    Quote:
    t’s impossible to see the world as it is, argues a cognitive neuroscientist
    Many scientists believe that natural selection brought our perception of reality into clearer and deeper focus, reasoning that growing more attuned to the outside world gave our ancestors an evolutionary edge. Donald Hoffman, a cognitive scientist at the University of California, Irvine, thinks that just the opposite is true. Because evolution selects for survival, not accuracy, he proposes that our conscious experience masks reality behind millennia of adaptions for ‘fitness payoffs’ – an argument supported by his work running evolutionary game-theory simulations. In this interview recorded at the HowTheLightGetsIn Festival from the Institute of Arts and Ideas in 2019, Hoffman explains why he believes that perception must necessarily hide reality for conscious agents to survive and reproduce. With that view serving as a springboard, the wide-ranging discussion also touches on Hoffman’s consciousness-centric framework for reality, and its potential implications for our everyday lives.
    end quote
    https://aeon.co/videos/its-impossib...NMkmopz6fluwkTx5MmDuWZVFADxuHUmVMVfAohJ3iBDdI

proseak likes this.
  16. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

The Sun posted an article claiming almost a million pounds is given away in child benefit to EU workers here but their kids aren't. Doesn't seem like a particularly big deal to me and I'm not sure 20 quid a week is much compensation for being separated from family but others feel wronged by it.

Reasons that aren't petty? I'm not holding my breath!

17. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

WE GET AR CUNTRY BAK!

Quite who from I don't know, mind.

18. Catriona

J.R-M's wife wasn't it? ;)

19. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

All of the potential benefits of leaving are pinned on having a far more progressive government, one which would take human rights, environment and quality of life far more seriously than the EU. Ain't going to happen any time soon.

daft_biker, peterba and Catriona like this.
  20. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

To quote every politician backed into a corner by someone unfairly quoting facts at them: "Let's be perfectly clear about this..." (add lies to taste)