1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Election On The 12 December

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Derek W, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Boris is a disaster. Corbyn is a dangerous disaster, Swinson is a very nice but naive disaster, the yappy terrier is a very angry disaster, Farage is too frit to stand and is almost not worth mentioning except that having his awkward squad in the EU parliament encourages them to send us on our way.
    As bad as Boris is, totally useless at even the broadest of details, he projects the right image. And he has very good people to do the details.
    I see Boris as the least damaging of a pretty poor bunch. I cannot say that I will vote conservative because I don't yet know who the local Conservatives are putting up to replace our Ken but provided it is anyone better than a pig with a blue rosette they will get my vote.

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

So still 50:50 then? ;)

CollieSlave and peterba like this.
  3. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Bumbershoot, surely?

Though that appears to be a 19th century word - probably a bit modern for him...

peterba likes this.
  4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I've edited your contribution down to the only two words required to describe them all...

peterba likes this.
  5. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Indeed, Steve. I've also realised that my suggestion of parapluie would be a little too... European.

SXH likes this.
  6. peterba

... but, in particular, Johnson. :(

7. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Fop!
    Buffoon.

8. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

In the day he would have been a macaroni.

steveandthedogs and Catriona like this.
  9. Catriona

haha! I know - I've just finished a couple of books about that time. ;) Mind you, he's more of a squid ink spaghetti though, isn't he?

Terrywoodenpic likes this.
  10. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

In my constituency the blue one has a majority well over 15,000; the red one is a further 5000 ahead of the orange one - so (to save you the bother) the blue one is 20000 ahead of the orange one.

There were also UKIP;Green and a WEP but between them they didn't get 4000 votes!.

I have no idea where to throw my vitally important vote so that it makes a difference.

MickLL

11. Terrywoodenpic

If you really want to blow your mind, try thinking of Jacob RM as a macaroni taking up the pose of La Maja Desnuda by Goya laying on the benches of the commons as per his usual style. White faced and rouged and foppish and as fully on display as the Maja.

The mind boggles.

Catriona likes this.
  12. Catriona

Knowing his ego, he would do it at the drop of a hat (or a few million bucks). Eek!

Terrywoodenpic likes this.
  13. Terrywoodenpic

Are the brexit party standing there?
    If they are, vote for orange, and encourage others Who are pro or anti brexit to vote for the brexit Party or orange to split the Blue vote down to size...
    called tactical voting.... every switch vote is worth two off a majority.

The brexit party share is key to this election, and can bring local Tory and Labour majorities within shooting range.
    Liberals will soak up the firm remain votes from both the Labour and Tory centrists. and the Brexit party the extreme brexiteers.

A head on attack will not work for any party.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  14. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

I don't know (yet) if Brexit are standing. Doesn't that also take votes off the reds and leave the relative positions the same?

MickLL

15. Terrywoodenpic

In some seats yes, especially where they have no chance.

In this seat we have an excellent labour candidate (MP) who is a remain supporter. If it seems that the Lib Dems have no chance here. I will vote for her, as there is a good chance that labour will hold a further referendum on Brexit to confirm or not their deal. (a better option from my point of view than the Tory Policy)
    However I would prefer to vote Lib Dem and a direct withdrawal from the brexit process.

In the north east, the brexit split between Tory and Brexit party, will clearly benifit labour however many of their own vote switch to the brext party.
    In the south west only a Lib Dem vote can Defeat the Tory candidates. That will be further helped by Brexit voters supporting the Brexit Party.

16. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Just to help liven things up a bit.

I think 'Tactical Voting' is stupid and the waste of a vote.

To not vote for someone who you don't want to get in is one thing, but then to vote for someone else who you also don't want to get in but may hopefully stop the first person getting in, but doing so may potentially enable someone else who you also don't want to get in to actually get in is bonkers.

There I've said it...... :)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    peterba and Zou like this.
  17. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

And there's also the bit where the person you didn't want but voted for due to policy x, implements policy y which you are really opposed to but they say they have a mandate to deliver on it. :confused:

peterba likes this.
  18. peterba

I (mostly) agree, @dangie. Our unfit-for-purpose voting system leaves no alternative, in some situations. However, tactical voting is an uncertain business at the best of times, since it's quite possible to 'get it wrong' (as it were).

I wish it weren't so, but unless and until we get a sensible voting system, that's how it got to be. I certainly don't like it, any more than you do.

19. peterba

Yep - and that's another PITA. :(

20. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

I can't help thinking we should be able to use our vote specifically to count either FOR or AGAINST a candidate (as a negative vote)
    If this was a possibility it's quite possible the winner would in some cases be the candidate with the least negative vote, but that would at least tell the winner how unpopular their policies are.

Zou likes this.