1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Election 8th June

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by AndyTake2, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Thanks for the link. I had not come across euobserver before. There's good stuff far beyond the topic of this thread. I liked the way that 70% of poles don't care a damn about PC.

2. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Er..... probably not - certainly not me, anyway! :)

3. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

Re Charlie Hebdo. I really don't like some of their other content, like the cartoon of Londoners fleeing for their lives from the London Bridge attacks with the heading
    " Slimming tips from IS".

You can google it.

Lovely people at that mag ! :(:(

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Haven't seen it but it sounds worth a smile. The moment we put humour off limits the scum have won.

5. willie45

You might want to look before commenting

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  6. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Last weeks cover was TM as Anne Boleyn(?) - "With her head tucked underneath her arm.............." Too big for the scanner, unfortunately!

Lynn

7. willie45

It's not a cover but inside the same issue you quoted. Google is your friend. I'm loathe to reproduce it here as IMHO it is in absolutely appallingly poor taste.

8. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

I only bought it yesterday (Thursday was a public holiday so the newsagents were shut) so I haven't read that far yet.

Lynn

9. Andrew Flannigan

You seem to be missing the point of free speech. CH is not for everybody but in our society they have the right to be tasteless and you have the right to be rude about them.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  10. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Andrew,

Exactly. And some "tasteless" stuff can be exceptionally hard-hitting once you adjust your expectations. I don't always like Charlie Hebdo -- it's not a patch on Private Eye, because it's far less varied -- but I still buy it from time to time, and the picture described wouldn't put me off. Yes, they are "lovely people", and I'm not being ironic.

Cheers,

R.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  11. miked

miked Well-Known Member

At 89 years of age, the most notable partickle physicist in the UK resides in Knotty Ash. Mr Kenneth Dodd, esq., has great form in this partickuler area.

12. willie45

Dear Andrew and Roger, I don't know how to do multi quotes I'm afraid. There's no point about free speech being missed by me. Where did I suggest there freedoms should be curtailed??

Don't forget, I too have free speech and am happy to state that I don't like the idea of terror victims of terrorists being mocked and I have the right to express my disapproval of this. I find it inexplicable how this can be seen positively but....

If either of you can explain how this particular cartoon is "hard hitting" I'd be interested

Zou likes this.
  13. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Which one? The "minceur" one is obviously belittling the achievements of the terrorists. The beheading one is an equally obvious bit of satire on the "achievements" of our PM. I can understand why you dislike them, but my criticism of them (and CH in general) is that absence of shade, it's ALL hard-hitting and unsubtle. The Eye is indeed a far superior publication, nut there's an absolute need foe CH IMHO.

Roger Hicks and Andrew Flannigan like this.
  14. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Oh yes. It is a very interesting site. Different starting point entirely.

15. RovingMike

We used to have one or two in the distant past.

16. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Having mentioned John McTernan's almost god-like ability to say things which don't come true, I have seen this gem on Twitter:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

steveandthedogs and RovingMike like this.
  17. RovingMike

Hmm, CH might be interested in Londoners' real reactions to the Borough Market attack. The spot yesterday where the three were shot. Was same when it reopened on Weds:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/rovingmike/9N065Y

Gezza and daft_biker like this.
  18. Andrew Flannigan

19. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I have to admit to having never heard of this bloke, until your post on here a few days ago. :confused:

If the content of the quotes you have just posted are accurate, he must be some kind of total f*ckwit. I wonder if he has considered an advisory rôle with the current US administration?

20. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Peter,

He is the chief of the Illuminati and (secretly) is actually RUNNING both the US and UK administrations.

Cheers,

R.

peterba likes this.