1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Election 8th June

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by AndyTake2, Apr 18, 2017.

1. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

well, T May has called a snap election, time to be scared folks.

I guess she has some real nasty surprises lined up, and wants to blame the public for voting for them.
    Doing it before a replacement for the wet fish Corbyn can be found will only help her I suppose

Roger Hicks likes this.
  2. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Standard Tory party policy!

I've just found this on Wikipedia re- Fixed-term Parliaments Act 2011 :

"Section 2 of the Act also provides for two ways in which a general election can be held before the end of this five-year period:[2]

If the House of Commons resolves "That this House has no confidence in Her Majesty's Government", an early general election is held, unless the House of Commons subsequently resolves "That this House has confidence in Her Majesty's Government". This second resolution must be made within fourteen days of the first.
    If the House of Commons, with the support of two-thirds of its total membership (including vacant seats), resolves "That there shall be an early parliamentary general election"."

I might be (probably am) missing something, but this appears to be a return to holding elections timed for the opportunistic convenience of the sitting PM (i.e. as it it used to be). :confused: Maybe someone can enlighten me...

Edit: I've just heard that she will seek Parliamentary approval via the two-thirds majority - so... question answered.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    steveandthedogs likes this.
  3. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

She lies again.

And is it a case of "We're in the shit about Brexit, so we'll pass it on to someone else to get the blame" ?

Listening to her speech, she seems to be spouting the old Brexit lies.

S

4. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Perhaps parliament will say, "Nope. You got us into it. You get us out of it."

Cheers,

R.

mediaman and peterba like this.
  5. peterba

Her speech was dreadful - paraphrasing it: "The country is coming together over Brexit, but Parliament is not". :mad:

Where the **** has she been since June 23rd 2016? The country most certainly is NOT coming together over Brexit. If anything, Remain-voters are more indignant than ever, having been lectured for nearly a year about shutting up since the referendum settled the matter. At risk of repeating myself, anti-EU voices were hardly quiet for 40 years, after the 1975 referendum supposedly "settled the matter".

She was highly critical of opposition parties, saying - in effect - that they should be agreeing with her. She really should find a dictionary, and look up the definition of "opposition".

6. peterba

That would be good, but sadly, I doubt it. Politicians of all stripes are nearly always 'professionally' galvanised by the prospect of a General Election.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  7. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Or they might vote for a bunch of muppets entirely unfit to rule, just to get us out of it.

As I see it there is no good choice. She wins with a massively increased majority and the remainers have to shut up entirely and the electorate gets the blame for brexit disaster. OR Labour gets in with a cabinet of nonentities who's only mandate is to get us out of brexit and loses all support the day after it withdraws article 50....the brexiters in the Conservative party don't shut up so we have a 5-10 year in-out oscillation.

8. peterba

We've already done that one... on 7th May 2015.

Catriona and Roger Hicks like this.
  9. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

As opposed to the bunch of muppets who got us into this mess.

S

Roger Hicks likes this.
  10. RovingMike

Believe me there are worse out there. Remember Labour has lost almost all its experienced people under Corbyn.

11. RovingMike

I would suspect she knows something we don't. That is likely to be that brexit will get a massive confirmation that will legitimise a real night of the long knives in her party.

12. Roger Hicks

Dear Mike,

Do we WANT the kind of "experienced people" that the Tories have, though? So no, I don't believe you.

Cheers,

R.

peterba, Zou, Trannifan and 1 other person like this.
  13. RovingMike

Rather implies that the man in the street could do better, which is what Labour offer. I doubt they can. But I have to say if the Lib Dems are ever going to make a comeback, it should be now. The only sensible vote is one for them I would estimate.

14. Roger Hicks

Dear Mike,

Agree on both counts, but not the middle one (hence omitted).

Cheers,

R.

15. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I wish Scotland could field SNP candidates across the UK. The number who want to get rid of us would ensure we got into power.

RogerMac, saxacat, Zou and 2 others like this.
  16. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Steve, what was the lie this time? Can you list some of the others as well? That's quite a charge. Or are you just repeating the standard Guardian writers, esp. little Owen's, line? Cheers, Oly

17. 0lybacker

I did suggest that, Catriona, just over a year ago. I seem to recall some folk here didn't like it. Nicola Sturgeon, according to to the BBC is none too happy. She will have a job defending just her patch. The LibDems will be anxious not to lose more seats and would prefer to get a couple back, perhaps one in Scotland. Labour even more so, but x10! It will be a tough battle north of the border. Cheers, Oly

Catriona likes this.
  18. 0lybacker

Think you could be right on that, Mike. The BoE have had the banks run stress tests, ostensibly over Brexit but the chance of an aftershock to 2007/2009 is quite strong or some say that may have been just a trial run for the 'big one', an even bigger world financial crisis. Then it could also be that the Whips had informed May that two or three or more of her MPs were about to jump ship, perhaps to the LibDems. Calling a GE short circuits that rather well. UKIP are probably at their weakest since 2014 and it will be tough for them in June. Could be the end for them, too. Cheers, Oly

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  19. 0lybacker

Benn, Harman, Abbott, Twigg S., Nick Brown, Field, Hoey, Bradshaw, Creagh, the Eagles, Timms, Beckett, Byrne, Cooper, Cruddas, Dromey, Flint, Mann, Healy, Miliband, Powell, Spellar, Stewart, Stuart, Vaz, Watson and Thornberry, all 'old hands' but obviously some will be anti-Corbyn but still in Parliament, waiting for Corbyn's resignation. May have missed a few. Most of that list have Ministerial experience or NEC or GE Campaign leading experience.

The tough thing for Labour will be the Local Elections. If, IF, they get a drubbing there, then they may find it hard to lift their game for a General Election a few weeks later. Some in the media will be giving them hell, even from their own side of 'the print' & the BBC while they try to fight a GE campaign.

20. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I seem to remember that recently there was a report that the BoE had a little defending to do re Libor? Did it really go quiet after that? Or did I miss the 'justification'?

steveandthedogs likes this.