1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gammon

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Zou, May 16, 2018 at 11:22 AM.

1. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Apparently red-faced tories and DUP type folk are rallying around against the descriptor "gammon". My main issue with the term is that gammon can be quite tasty... Anyway, thoughts? Is it a slur, should it be stopped, smoked or unsmoked, fried egg or pineapple?

2. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

I think "gammon and spinach" used to be slang for rubbish or falsity, or something close to that idea.

S

Zou likes this.
  3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I like a game of backgammon. But I should add it to the list of what I'm rubbish at.

Zou likes this.
  4. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Not heard the term before, although I have been called a pig a few times. :)

As for eating, has to be smoked with pineapple. There is nothing more disappointing though when you come to eat it then realise you’ve bought chunks and not rings.

AndyTake2 and Zou like this.
  5. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

The person that calls me a Snowflake objects to being called a Gammon. I'll just have to revert to calling him a bigoted twat then.

With regards to the meat, it has to be with mashed potato, Savoy cabbage (with butter melting over it) and a decent splash of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce.

6. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

That's a real irony of the white supremacist types, they mock "safe spaces" and "triggered" "snowflakes" whilst getting upset by petty name calling, any form of diversity, and want what is basically a border-defined safe space for their race. Couldn't make it up could you?

7. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I understand that Ben Davis (who coined the term) meant it to apply to "middle-classed golf club types" and rather regrets it now.

Coining the term that is, not applying a ridiculous stereotype that certainly doesn't agree with what I have seen at the three clubs I have been a member of. One of which was in Nairobi and had at least 50% black African members. Another was uphill from the notorious Northwood GC and as unalike it as could be. I wonder what the street name for working class golf club members (of which there are very considerable numbers, including the black cabbies that meet up at Wyke Green of a Tuesday) would be?

8. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

I am a working class golf club member. My wife has all sorts of names for me:confused:

Zou likes this.
  9. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Smoked gammon , pineapple ring on top , AND two fried eggs with runny yokes to dip your chips in .
    Heinze baked beans .
    Sorted .

10. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Sorry, if I was to have beans with it, which I wouldn't with gammon, it would have to be Branston beans.

Geren likes this.
  11. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Gammon. In a soup. Delicious.

Nothing like what my mother used to make, but you can't easily buy ham shanks and ham ribs any more.

12. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

with large dried peas and pea flour to thicken it.

LesleySM likes this.
  13. EightBitTony

Lentils. You could slice it once it had cooled.

14. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Isn't Lentils, also the name applied to people who observe Lent? :rolleyes:

15. EightBitTony

Tsk.

Lentites.

16. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Aren't the Dolomites people who may go to the USA for a holiday?

17. Learning

Yes and sprinkle the slices with salt and pepper and place between slices of bread. No need for butter or marge but stick the sarnies together with Helmens.

18. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

That sounds like the kind of thing I'd love, but be embarrassed to admit to. :)

peterba likes this.
  19. Learning

Don't be silly. Who bothers to make mayonaise?

20. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Tony,

SPLITTERS!

Cheers,

R.

peterba likes this.