1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FZ2000 artefacts (AP 2016.12.31)

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by mfc, Jan 11, 2017.

1. mfc

mfc Member

Just reading the review of the FZ2000 .. which ends (while discussing video recording) "fine details and defined edges are rendered with aliasing artefacts in the EVF and rear display ...".

This sounds as though it might be focus peaking display, not a fault of the camera?

Mike

2. Andy Westlake

Andy Westlake AP Staff

Sorry, but there's a very distinct visual difference between aliasing artefacts and the coloured outlines of a focus peaking display.

Aliasing artefacts can appear in the viewfinder when the video stream fed into it is lower resolution than the EVF panel itself. Running a low-resolution EVF feed during movie recording makes perfect sense, as a way of taking the strain off the processor and reducing power consumption and therefore heat build-up. Given that the FZ2000 is designed for unlimited duration recording, it's a probably smart move on Panasonic's part to minimise power consumption.

3. mfc

mfc Member

Interesting, thanks. I'd have thought it would have cost more (in energy) to reduce the EVF (and monitor) feed to less than their 2Mb/1Mb resolution and then expand it up than to just pipe the live video to them and let their drivers throw away the pels they don't need.

Mike Cowlishaw

4. Andy Westlake

Andy Westlake AP Staff

I guess the problem here is that the camera is processing a 4K video stream to send to the SD card that's much higher resolution and data rate than the standard viewfinder feed. So presumably, it can't be sent directly to the EVF or LCD. Instead, Panasonic sends a reduced resolution feed to the monitor, which is quite adequate for viewing what you're recording but looks low-resolution on screen and gives jaggy artefacts and aliasing. (I've just checked the LX15 I'm testing at the moment and it does exactly the same thing.)

5. mfc

mfc Member

OK, understood -- thanks. By the sound of it they're just roughly sampling the higher-resolution stream to generate the monitor/EVF streams -- but, as you said, to downsize properly would require more energy and more code -- both of which have their costs. :)

Mike