1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Full frame sensors

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Damien_Demolder, Jul 16, 2007.

?

Iwould like to be suspended by my

1. Thumbs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Nipples

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Love nuts

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Neck

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Thong

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

You seem to have got utterly, er, confused about the two usages of circle of confusion - the one that is an optical property of a lens, i.e. the actual ultimate measure of a lens's inability to bring rays to a point focus, and the one that is used to define DOF - and then assumed that the criteria used to calculate DOF for a given format is the design criteria for the lens. 1/30mm sounds suspiciously like one of the figures in general use for calculating the depth of field for 35mm - that does NOT mean that it's the design criterion for 35mm lenses, nor that 35mm lenses are designed for that particular CoC - just that under no circumstances can they exceed it. And in any case, what you have quoted is the larges CoC in common use - most people use rather less.

2. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I think there are people who want a a Full-Frame sensor for two quite different reasons ...

(A) So they can continue using their existing lenses - and thereby avoid the cost of buying new lenses.

(B) Those willing to accept the cost of completely new optics with a wholly incompatable bayonet mount.

So, which of these camps do these people fall into? :eek:

Maybe, the above is why manufacturers are unwilling to deliver a full-frame sensor?

3. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Alternatively, kid people that they can stick with existing lenses (for the purpose of brand loyalty) when this isn't really optimal....

The idea of being able to fit old film lenses being that, once you have the suckers captured you can fleece them for upgrades to proper digital lenses when their bank balances have recovered from the initial shock.

Or am I just being horribly cynical?

I think Olympus was originally the most honest when they introduced the E series without the capability of mounting OM lenses. Unfortunately they sold out to marketing pressures and introduced the adapter. (Mind you, if they hadn't done that, four thirds would probably be dead by now.)

Nikon tried to protect their reputation for quality by not introducing a full frame sensor. Using the central portion of the image circle should give results which aren't too bad.

Canon decided to let users do what they want - however from other posts it seems to be clear that those using full frame sensors with designed-for-film lenses are often having significant image quality problems.

4. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Maybe. But my argument is independent of the actual value of the CoC.

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Arrant nonsense. If you believe what's written on some forums, absolutely no piece of photographic equipment works at all. However, in the real world there are a lot of us using "designed-for-film" lenses perfectly happily on full-frame DSLRs without problems. A lot of the problem is that so many posts are written by those who have never even tried it, and basically regurgitate the claptrap of others.

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Please don't confuse things

Well your argument depends on actually understanding the concept in the first place, and the evidence suggests (maybe unfairly) that you don't. Please don't try to present pseudo-scientific mumbo-jumbo as fact, which is what you did - it's immensely confusing for those who don't have enough of a grasp of the subject to realise that it's not correct - we take a dim view of that sort of thing on here. By all means contribute, but if you're going to write in an authoritative tone, you need to make absolutely clear what's fact, what's opinion, and what's your understanding, rather than letting them all meld into one amorphous mass - thanks.

7. benji

benji Well-Known Member

Please, keep the 35mm equivalence, as this is what I learnt to shoot with.
    I care to know what 35mm range a lens covers on my APS-C sensor, because it instantly talks to me.

When we holiday abroad, my wife shops around, sees something for -say 150.00 dollars- and instantly asks:
    "150 dollars; how much is that in Sterling, Darling? It would look spiffing in our boudoir"

'Can't help it!!!

(by the way -between you and me- I always boost the conversion so items appear 2 or 3 times dearer than they really are. But you don't need to tell her that.)

(and we live in a bungalow, anyway!)