1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fujinon 80mm macro lens.

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by jchrisc, Apr 29, 2018.

1. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

I have just been given a Fujinon 80mm macro lens as a birthday present. This is the first proper macro lens that Fuji have produced for use with the X range of cameras and is the perfect present for me, since my photography these days is almost totally limited to the house and garden.
    However, when the lens is off the camera or when it is attached to the camera and the camera power is turned off, it makes a loud clonking noise whenever it is inverted or moved with any kind of energy.
    I enquired of Fuji as soon as I noticed this noise and was told that it is normal and results from the fact that the lens uses a free floating focusing element that is truly free to float when there is no power applied to the lens.
    The thought of this floating element banging about inside the lens disturbs me, but I don't want to return it. I'm really looking forward to some better weather and the pleasure of pointing my XT2 at the butterflies and the bees etc.

daft_biker likes this.
  2. andymcd

andymcd Well-Known Member

I've heard the same thing about the 90/2 - it is something to do with the focusing method I understand and normal.

Great birthday present by the way!

3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Somebody likes you!

4. jchrisc

My wife! She has bought me a lot of photo gear over the years. We are approaching our sixty second anniversary in June, so she has had plenty of time to learn what keeps me happy.

peterba and steveandthedogs like this.
  5. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

The Sigma Art lenses for the M43 cameras do exactly the same thing. It's a bit worrying at first but you soon learn to live with it! :D

6. andymcd

andymcd Well-Known Member

Congratulations on all counts @jchrisc

7. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Check firmware updates as I think all X cameras had an update for that lens.

8. jchrisc

Thanks Pete - first thing I did was to check the firmware. The camera body needs V3.0 and that's what I have.

9. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Keep an eye out for lens firmware updates. They are independent of the camera firmware updates, and are available from the same area of the Fuji firmware update site.

10. jchrisc

Sorry Pete, I should have said, I have several Fujinon lenses and they each have the most up-to-date firmware. The 80mm macro is still on V1.0

peterba likes this.
  11. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Apologies, Chris - I wasn't intending to try to 'teach granny to suck eggs', as it were. It was simply that your post (#8) suggested to me that you might have been unaware of lens firmware updates. :)