1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fujifilm Xphotographer Xperience Day

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by nCognito, Jul 22, 2015.

1. nCognito

nCognito Well-Known Member

I went to the Fujifilm Xphotographer Xperience Day, hosted by AP at AP Towers a week ago. I wanted to thank both AP and Fuji for an outstanding day.

As far as Fuji goes, it worked, I have just bought the X-E2 kit, it was great to be able to play around and talk to the Fuji reps. There was absolutely no pressure and they genuinely wanted us to focus on the photography and get the most out of the day.

For the day, we had Damien Lovegrove, Paul Saunders and Matt Hart as Pro instructors, the 60 of us were split into 4 groups and after some initial presentations rotated around the pro's for some practice with our own cameras and the Fuji kit.

I love colour photographs for landscapes but this day really opened my eyes to B&W, I have been playing around in lightroom and really pushing the sliders over one way or the other. The focus was pretty awful on a lot of the shots so it was a case of have a play and see what comes out. Its also the first time my 11 year old son has taken an interest in my photos, after sorting out his favorites from the day he has grabbed my Canon M and is off tormenting his sister. Looks like we are going out together at the weekend so that has been an unexpected but positive by product of the day. If you want to see the photos he chose, go here and scroll down to the bottom of the page http://imagemonk.net/leica--film.html

First off for me was Paul Sanders and Landscapes. With a flat grey sky this would have been a challenge for anyone but I got some time with the X-T10 and the X-E2, both of which were on my shopping list. I have misplaced the memory card I used with the Fuji cameras so everything here was taken with my own camera. The following were taken with a Leica M8 and 25mm Voigtlander lens

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next up was Damien Lovegrove with model Amber Tuttle. Learned a huge amount, here, never photographed a model before, I did feel a bit awkward but Amber was a real pro and Damien was full of tips and tricks. I don't think I will be rushing out for more model sessions but I know my family portraits will be 10x better now. Really great session, wish it lasted longer, I did look up Damien's site to see about more tuition but its a bit out of my reach. Again Leica M8 with 40mm Voigtlander lens.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last up was street with Matt Hart. Absolutely brilliant session, I learned that all you need for street is a huge pair of brass balls. Matt does candid street and makes a point of not interacting with the people he is photographing. It was a bit awkward to start but it got easier very quickly, we went to Borough market and after walking around the place once, I had great fun playing tog the toggers, so I ended up with a lot of photos of my fellow participants. Really enjoyed this session, it made the whole day for me and pushed me into buying the X-E2. I love the Leica but I will keep it for landscapes, trying to use it hyperfocal was just not working and I need autofocus. Leica M8 again with 25mm and 40mm lenses, the second snap has Matt on the far left.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

I'm a Fuji X fan. It was Damien Lovegrove who put me onto them a couple of years back. I really love the X series.

3. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I had to miss out on this one, more's the pity as it looks as if it was a excellent session. I have an X-Pro1, and have to say that whilst it's a little bit big, the EVF viewfinder system works really well. My only niggle with this camera, is that the buttons on the left-hand side, aren't recessed enough, so I accidentally activate them. As far as I know, no-one has brought out some form of additional 'pad' to fit over this side of the body, so your palm doesn't squeeze against the buttons when gripping the camera.

4. willie45

I have both that and the XT-1. The latter has gone the other way. Many complain the buttons are not prominent enough!

5. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

6. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

He's meant to be an Olympus man! :D

7. willie45

I'm guessing you're thinking of someone else Oly. I've met him a few times and he is pretty keen on his Fuji.