1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FujiFilm FinePix X10

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by nspur, Nov 5, 2011.

1. nspur

nspur Well-Known Member

Think how surprised Mat Gallagher will be when he discovers that this camera has a sensor 2/3" (or if you like 1/1.5") rather than the 1/2.3" stated in his review on pp 4-5 of the issue dated 12 November!

Actually I think it's a rather bad lapse for the deputy and technical editor of a normally authoritative publication.

2. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

Thank you Nick. It would appear that you have spotted, regrettable as it is, what is known as a typo. I will bring it to the attention of Mat and the subs desk on Monday.

3. MrBlueSky

MrBlueSky Well-Known Member

Ah, not made a mistake then have we?

4. nspur

nspur Well-Known Member

It's not actually a typo, Mark. He refers to the sensor being smaller than those "in the competition" (read G12) when it's actually 34% larger and "it has the same size sensor as the Pentax Q".

5. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

Thank you once again Nick. As I have not read the article, hence my usage of 'it would appear', I cannot comment further. However, as I have said, I will draw attention to the matter.

6. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I have given up expecting Mat to get details right or even mentioning them.
    I don't think his mind works that way.
    He needs a very good sub following behind, not just checking details like this but also the Photographic concepts behind what is written.

Some writers not only write interesting articles but also understand the basic principals and the details associated with Photography.

I have no problem with writers who say contentious things or things I disagree about.(I am sufficiently long in the tooth to have my own opinions on things photographic) Some past writers like dear Geoffrey were so authoritative that you accepted every thing he wrote as gospel. Others you see as only displaying one part of a multifaceted coin. Both sorts bring a lot to the party.
    Errors of fact and understanding, simply confuse beginners and irritate the more knowledgeable.

7. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

Just got my AP for this week and agree wholeheartedly with Terrywoodenpic.

The standard of understanding among some of the staff writers on AP of late leaves much to be desired. What is the point of doing a two page spread on a new camera, then getting the basics wrong. It is very confusing, and I have lost count of the number of times I have had to look things up on other sites to confirm my suspicions that some detail in an AP report is wrong.

Whilst the experienced may pick these things up, please spare a few thoughts for the less knowledgeable, who take everything written in AP as Gospel; they must get totally confused.

8. rjbell

rjbell Well-Known Member

This is a pretty big mistake.

9. Tim Coleman

Tim Coleman AP Deputy Technical Editor

Like Terrywoodenpic has mentioned in another post, the terminology used is not only confusing, but not helpful in the first instance. To gain a real understanding of how sensor sizes stack up against each other - which is particularly important right with the introduction of the Nikon 1 sensor and also such a variety being used across this competition - then a mm measurement is more helpful. To that extent I completely agree.

I have been using the Fuji X10 for the last couple of days, and it is great. Its handling is speedy and intuitive, and its build quality is excellent. Fuji has created a fine camera here.

10. Blind Pugh

Blind Pugh Well-Known Member

For MG to quote that the X10 uses the same sensor as the Pentax Q is just plain obvious that he hasn't done his research. That info in itself would put potential buyers off the X10.

How reliable will the actual test proper be?......

11. Mat_Gallagher

Mat_Gallagher Well-Known Member

I feel I should add something here to the ongoing debate. The stating of the sensor size as 1/2.3 as opposed to 2/3 was my mistake not a sub's. This was an early preview of the camera and details were still quite limited, so when researching the details after a short time using the camera I read the sensor size to be 1/2.3in. This was an unfortunate error not helped by the format of measurement and we are now considering different ways to express sensor sizes in the future. However, I don't feel it warrants the rather personal attacks that are all too easy to administer in a forum such as this.
    On a more positive note, the X10 is now being tested by Tim and is looking like one of the best compacts we have seen for sometime.

12. Blind Pugh

I agree , what is the point of a 2 page spread , when it several fundamental error's regarding the sensor size. I wonder if anyone from Fujifilm picked up on this ?.

13. Blind Pugh

The sooner there is some sort of standard established regarding sensor size type , the better. Perhaps it might be easier to quote the Crop Factor. The higher the crop factor , the smaller the sensor??.

14. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I'd still prefer to see large formats described in inches, medium formats in cm and small formats in mm. It seemed to work ok with film:)

15. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

I have read of another claimed mistake concerning the NEX-7 review to do with steadyshot in this week's issue :(

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.u...?94289-NEX-7-SteadyShot-Inside-or-not-(Nov19)

16. Blind Pugh

Sounds good. Just give sensor sizes out in mm for dslr , csc and bridge cameras.

17. Blind Pugh

OH DEAR !!.........what excuse will MG come out with this time lol..

Mind you perhaps we should cut him some slack, as it is a weekly publication, and I guess that the deadlines must be tight.

18. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Maybe YOU should. You're starting to sound like a bit of a troll...

19. Blind Pugh

I was referring to another post on the site that has found another error in this weeks publication by MG and the NEX-7 .

Where is your SOH ?.

20. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

There hasn't yet been a post from you where I would consider deploying my SOH, and that probably goes for Nigel, too. We do tend to be a little suspicious on here of people who only roll up to find fault - as yet, that appears to cover you off rather nicely. Yes, Mat's made a couple of mistakes, and no, that's not very good, but haven't you anything else to talk about, or do you fit Churchill's definition of a fanatic - one who can't change his mind, and won't change the subject?

In general, I've been pretty disgusted with some of the tone of the criticism of Mat. Yes, AP is known for being authoritative, and it's a shame there have been a couple of errors, but I'm sure Mat will take all the more care in the future - I don't see what's to be gained by publicly humiliating him - we all make mistakes, after all, and these are hardly life or death ones.