1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuji XD card error

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by chriis cooper, May 8, 2017.

1. chriis cooper

chriis cooper New Member

Hi there
    recently an older XD card seems to have become unreadable, both in the camera & on my card reader, so i got in touch with fuji who do a service where you send it of to them & they see if they can recovery the images, i was wondering if the manufacturers use a specific form of software that is available to you & i ? Or if it some expensive kit that makes it worth paying the £40 in order to try & get my photos back ?? Any suggestions .
    Many thanks

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I suspect if it is unreadable then that's that. I don't know if a hard disk utility like chkdsk will report on it - I think the cards use FAT or FAT32 file system so it might. It is always best to get data off cards and onto other media as soon as possible. Format them regularly.

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I'd be wary of chkdsk. PhotoRec and similar are totally non destructive and avoid anything that might mess further with the data.

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I have never tried to run it on a card but it shouldn't do anything other than look. You have to tell it to fix first. Of course if the card is so broke it won't mount then it won't work.

6. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

It might seem like a silly suggestion, but I had an SD card fail on me and it turned out to be due to one of the tiny little plastic dividers between the contacts having partially snapped and moved to one side, blocking access to one of the contacts adjacent to it. Removing the plastic divider completely fixed the problem.

I'm just saying that before embarking on a technical odyssey to try and fix it, make sure that the problem isn't something physical with the card.

Cheers, Jeff

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  7. chriis cooper

chriis cooper New Member

Thanks for your replies guys..