1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest,

Apologies for the issues that you may be experiencing with the AP forum. While not ideal, it is reported that access can be gained by using Internet Explorer or MS Edge browsers. Hopefully normal access will be restored though perhaps not until Monday.
    Dismiss Notice

Fuji X20

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by JMK, Sep 5, 2019.

1. JMK

JMK Active Member

Creeping back into this forum via a squeaky back door after many, many years of absence, this section caught my eye which didn't exist when I was a contributor in years gone by.

I have just bought one of these NEW from a camera shop in Koln, Germany. It is nice and handy when I am touring on a motorcycle, more so than a Dslr.

I had a X10 a long while ago and I found it to be useful but all too easy to knock the camera off the chosen settings but this one is far better. However when compared to one of my full frame Nikon Dslrs with the same pixel count the images that contain large amounts of sky when printed to A4 seem to be just a tad noisy. I know the sensor is a lot smaller, but I cannot remember the same appearance of grain with the X10.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I've not noticed any particular difference between the 16 and 24 MP sensors, albeit in different bodies to yours. I'll go back over some and see. I tend to process RAF files with Astia as default film type - or at least the Adobe LR version of it.

3. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Try the 35mm f2 on it for using on a bike - it's tiny! And excellent.

S

4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

^I think the poster is referring to the rather nice compact, rather than the X-T20 CSC.

5. steveandthedogs

Whoops.

S

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Double whoops

7. steveandthedogs

I'm an idiot. What's your excuse?

S

8. JMK

JMK Active Member

To clarify. The X20 has a 28-112 (equivalent) zoom, non interchangeable lens lens with max apertures F2 to F2.8 depending on the zoom length. I think it was sold up until about 5 years ago until it was superseded by the X30. It is sharp and contrasty, irrespective of the grain/noise. So long as there is no large expanse of sky or other plain colour I can easily get an A3 print even though it is only 12MP.

When I saw it was new in a sealed box, I thought 'why not' and bought it for 250 Euro's. I think they were about double that when they 1st came onto the market originally. They are nice and handy with no prism to get in the way of my bike helmet.

9. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

If you are having large prints done on any camera, it can be worth selecting the sky and reducing the noise to some extent. Even with a noisy camera, grain is usually only noticeable in plain and shadow areas, it should be easy to deal with for printing.

10. JMK

JMK Active Member

Actually I probably won't be making many prints from this camera. I bought it with the intent of using it when I am touring on my motorcycle and these pictures are usually converted into images for projection where the grain/noise will not be so obvious. It was that I was trying it out to see what it could do.

11. John King

John King Well-Known Member

That is a good idea, that is one tool I had never tried before. Does it have any effect on the sharpness of details where the sky or other plain area meet?

12. Terrywoodenpic

That depends on the quality of the masking. But a soft selection does not affect the sharpness of the detail.

13. Terrywoodenpic

Y