1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuji Medium Format … had a fiddle with a Pre-Prod model

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by Done_rundleCams, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

It is smaller than the Pentax 645Z and is very nice, ergonomically,
    both, with and without the battery pack/vertical grip :) When shooting,
    it is very nice and quiet, although the "in focus" beep is really quite loud :eek:

The focussing, although I only used it in the Live View mode, is pretty
    fast and accurate. The lens, on it, was a 63/3.5 (?) which, I'm guessing,
    is the equivalent of a 50mm lens.

There was no mention of actual pricing, for those interested in that ;)

Cheers,

Jack

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

any idea when the launch is?

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  3. Done_rundleCams

Nope, sorry Pete, but I wasn't privy to the meeting in the back room :( but, when I'm back at work
    on Saturday, I'll ask the fellow who was in the back room meeting. :)

Cheers,

Jack

4. Done_rundleCams

No set date give, Pete :(

Jack

5. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Just cannot see the point . It is my opinion that the present output from the XPro 2 is more then adequate for 99% of photographic tasks. For anything else surely full frame would be the answer, why bother with an inbetween solution with an EVF and the requirement for a new range of lenses?

It's my opinion that Fuji output is already technically superior to film, and that's an opinion based on camera output in JPEG. And side by side print comparison, not pixel peeping on a crappy monitor.

But Hey Ho that's in the real world not on Planet Zog.

Recently I had a short play with one, OK, not one to be easily impressed, thought it a bit of a lump.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
    Lloyd, Done_rundleCams and nimbus like this.
  6. PeteRob

I'm curious about the price point and handling. I'd like to get back to using MF but with the freedom digital brings over film for someone with a very low success rate but I can't justify Phase One prices. If Fuiji have cracked making big affordable sensors that is a game changer especially if they target the current full frame market rather than the existing MF market.

7. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Fail to see how " having a very low success rate" would be improved with a larger sensor. Success as in ........?

Regarding price, I would have thought anyone already owning a M/F outfit would find a Phase 1 back cheaper then a new Fuji outfit. The cameras won't be cheap and the lenses are likely to be very expensive compared to existing M/F , particularly in the S/H market.

I have already mentioned the camera being lumpish. The EVF is rather good, but the alternative, viewing the back screen is rather better for bicep building then composing a picture.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  8. PeteRob

Lack of success as in using my Bronica 6x6 - and seeing what I manage to achieve with it. I tended to not take a picture rather than waste a shot which means I ended up missing too much. Plus I have gotten used to instant results. There is less inhibition using digital.

I don't think there is an IQ back for the Bronica. Indeed if Fuji prices higher than 2nd hand Phase One units there is no interest. I haven't a clue how much the "pre-used" Phase One systems are although I get regular invitations to go test them.

The attractiveness of the larger format is greater field of view with for the focal length and I like using a waist level finder which I think the Fuji has - I see no point to raise a medium format camera to eye-level (other than to develop biceps).

9. Done_rundleCams

Hi Brian,

I agree that, IMHO, digital has matched the film output and, heck, I'm only shooting with a 16mp camera and just jpegs, as well ;)
    As for size, yep, it's bigger than the rest of the (Fuji and majority of other manufacturers cameras) but, as far as lumps go, I found
    that, ergonomically, it's a pretty decent feeling lump :D

Cheers,

Jack

10. Done_rundleCams

Hi Pete,

Still no word on pricing nor a launch date, sadly, but, whilst talking to the sales rep about the camera, he was
    constantly mentioning the the sensor and how they really worked on that because they really want to separate
    themselves from other medium format camera sensors, i.e.: the Pentax 645Z which, I believe, is a Sony Sensor.
    As well, they wanted to have "the" smallest medium format digital camera, as well. I haven't had a chance to
    see/play with Hassleblads entry into the foray so I can't comment on that one.

But, hopefully, you'll get a chance to have a play with the Fuji Medium Format camera in the near future and
    you can judge, for yourself, on it's "lumpiness" ;)

Cheers,

jack

11. PeteRob

I'm not allowed to play with cameras, not since I went into a shop to try a 7D and came out with a 1D iv.

Wonderful things credit cards.

I can still look from the sidelines though!

Sad thing is that I lack the kind of photographic ability that would help a justification. Happy snapper is my territory!

12. Done_rundleCams

I know what you mean about looking at and then buying ;) and credit cards are, in my words, wonderfully dangerous things ;)

Yep, viewing from the sidelines and/or windows is, usually, safe :D When it comes to shooting, I know my alleged knowledge
    far outweighs my known capability and I'm a "stuff" shooter …. "stuff that captures my eye is what I shoot" :D

Cheers and, hopefully, a Fuji Med Format comes to a sideline near you, soon :)

Jack

13. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I suspect we all here have the talent and the imagination. We just haven't managed the 10,000 hours practice yet... :(

14. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Jack the Xpro2 is certainly up to 6x6 cm M/F, at far higher ISO settings, and that's from JPEG, Acros is superb, beautiful tones. Yes the M/F Fuji isn't much larger then the XT2 apart from the thickness of the body, I struggled , although to be fair I find all full frame DSLRs unusable with my small hands.

Pete, why wouldn't the XPro2 suit you? Operationally it's very similar to the M/F Fuji and the retro design, apart from the EVF is fixed.

15. PeteRob

Why should it? I have an X-E2 as a lightweight carry around and I share your view that Fuji results are very good, but I just happen to prefer to use a 24 mm on the Canon over 16 mm on the Fuji to get the same field of view. Similarly, when I used the Bronica I preferred the 50 mm over 28 mm on my 35 mm. So I am curious as to this new camera - but only if the price is reasonable.

16. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

Just a thought, but isn't it the increased dynamic range that the bigger sensor provides, the point of it?

17. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

The Fuji guy admitted he had no information re price. However his guess was just south of £10,000 for the body and standard lens. All other lenses he guessed would be at least double their X equivalent. So for your favoured combination I would guess at around £12/ 13,000 which strikes me as very reasonable if it gets what you want.

Although personally I would buy A S/H digital back and spend the rest on Gin.

18. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Modern digital cameras achieve remarkable dynamic range without resorting to M/F. . Now if you need more maybe you are one of the 1% of photographers rather then the 99% of mere mortals as I mentioned in my original post.

Velvia rules O.K.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  19. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

At that price it's in the same territory as the Hasselblad X1D-50C (body and lens currently available for pre-order on WEX for £10,778) - and much as I respect Fuji kit, if it came to a straight choice between the two at the same price I'd go for the Hasselblad.

Ah well, this is all really in the realms of fantasy - the likelihood of me ever having in excess of £10k to spend on a camera is largely dependent on the National Lottery.

Cheers, Jeff

Done_rundleCams and peterba like this.
  20. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

The chances of my being willing to part with over £10K are about equal to my ever needing such a camera.

But If I had a business reason that needed such a camera, and it could earn its keep, it would be perfetly logocal to do so.

I rather doubt any amateur can justify such a spend, except in terms of the pleasure of ownership.