1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuji Finepix Real 3D W3

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by Malcolm_Stewart, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Like many of us, I've had a passing interest in stereo photography, and my earliest shots include a 1953 stereo pair of my mother sitting in the garden taken from two slightly different views. Later I took a few stereo pairs in Kodachrome using the shifting weight from left leg to right leg technique, and still have a pair of Carousel projectors, polarised filters and glasses etc., and I have been a member of the UK based Stereoscopic Society.

Reminded by Amazon that the price had dropped substantially, a few weeks ago I bought a W3, and have been enjoying its capabilities - both taking stills and a few movies. After trying a card I had lying around, I bought it an 8Gb high speed card so that it didn't cease recording movies after 11 seconds. Whilst both types are viewable on the rear LCD screen, from the card I can only view the non-moving 3D stereo pairs on my 3D TV, as the movie format isn't recognised in that mode. 3D movies on TV need an HDMI cable. In the main I've used it on full auto, and have been impressed by the exposure metering, and by its normally acceptable choice of 3D toe-in. Occasionally this goes wrong, and the result is most unpleasant. One person to whom I passed the camera had immediate eye strain when trying to view images fully acceptable to me, and the manual warns about this, but the majority have found the viewing as good as I do.

The camera feels well built and having a lens separation of 75mm is quite sizeable. It claims to have twin CCD (no mention of CMOS), and the side-by-side cameras can be zoomed, but this reduces the 3D effect. It's particularly good at recording flowers in gardens, and the different depth layers show up well. There is no viewfinder, and in bright sunshine the rear LCD struggles as expected. On playback, the rear LCD screen is of a high quality, and after initial loading, the image snaps into focus and 3D. Exposure Info can be turned off if required. Apart from the fully auto 3D mode, there are others including P, A & M. In addition there are 2D modes where the two lenses can record different views exploiting the two lenses, but I have yet to explore these. In addition to the special 3D file format (from which my browser can extract a jpeg) a normal jpeg file is recorded by default. This can be turned off via the Menu.

The camera fits well into one of the cases I found in my local Currys.

Unfortunately I can't post any examples here to illustrate my results, but well recommended for some fun!

2. surf_digby

surf_digby Well-Known Member

Does it let you output them as a blue/red anaglyphic type?

3. Malcolm_Stewart

There's nothing in the W3 main instruction manual, but a quick Google with "Fuji W3" and "anaglyph" produced results which mentioned some freeware, and the example image I checked was fine using red/green specs.

4. Malcolm_Stewart

I've now had the camera for a further two months, and it's continued giving good results as viewed on its screen, and on my TV.
    What I've now tried is getting some of my snaps printed in 3D using the lenticular surface system. (i.e. No 3D spectacles required for viewing.) Fujifilm offer a service via web upload of files, and there's a choice of sizes, and advice on the website as to choice of images. I went for the 9" x 6" size, and chose 4 images. The 0.3mm thick film used for the prints is translucent, and a low contrast image can be viewed from the rear.

So, how good are the results? For me with now very little accommodation it's difficult to say. (I wear bifocals, and also have a pair of specs for computer use, and need another pair in the bathroom.) Colours and density are fine, and there's a 3D effect, but I've found it difficult to find the optimum distance for my eyes and spectacles. Certainly it's nowhere near as good as viewing on my 3D 50" TV which really is excellent - but the prints do offer something tangible as an Xmas present. I really need to get the prints viewed by much younger people who still have a full range of accommodation.

5. Malcolm_Stewart

Since my last report, I was asked to take a set of record snaps of display cases in an exhibition for a friend, and for my own interest I tried a few 3D snaps with the Fuji W3. The set of ordinary record snaps was received with little comment, but to my surprise, I've now had orders, and re-orders for 3D prints; and requests for others. It seems as though they're appreciated by colleagues and associates of this friend who had put the exhibition together over a period of many years.

6. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

There was an article in AP recently about a 3D camera (it may have been Ivor Matanle(sp?)). there were a fiew of the stereoscopic images printed side by side and I found that by defocissing my eyes I could view the 3D effect (the same technique used with the Magic Eye books which were popular in the early 90s)

7. Malcolm_Stewart

I remember them, and I could never get them to work for me. Probably one of the reasons I'm so pleased with the W3.

8. VosperD

VosperD New Member

I have recently purchased one of these cameras.
    I know this an old thread but perhaps someone can tell me if it is possible to get 3D images from the Fuji Real 3D camera printed on the lenticular medium.
    Is there anyone in the UK offering this service at a reasonable price?
    Regards
    Don

9. Malcolm_Stewart

Hi Don,

About a year ago I received an email from the Fuji lab in Bedford giving me about 2-3 months for my last orders. As I understand it, they've now closed. Whether the lab in Germany is still open for business, I've no idea, but it's probably worth a web search.

I can still show my 3D files on my Panasonic TV - both stills, and the few 3D movies I tried. Works OK via the HDMI connection, I had problems when inserting the card into the SD slot. Good luck