1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuji-curious

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by cerebros, Jan 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. cerebros

cerebros Well-Known Member

Well I ended up giving the 100-400 and 1.4x TC a go a couple of weeks ago.

As the missus and her sister decided to arrange a family visit to Twycross Zoo on the same weekend the missus was supposed to be running a half marathon at Clumber Park, I decided to rent the 100-400 and the 1.4x TC as it seemed like . (I was also going to rent the 16mm f1.4 but that wasn't available from the first place I tried to rent from. The place I did manage to rent from was charging more for the rentals and so couldn't justify the additional cost of renting the 16mm, somewhat fortunately as the missus had to pull out of the half marathon and we ended up going somewhere I wouldn't have made much use of it).

The first thing I learned that weekend was that I still can't seem to mentally switch which way to turn the zoom ring when using the Fuji gear. Despite it being the system I've used most over the last year, half the time I still seem to fall into default Canon user mode and turn the zoom ring the wrong way...

The second thing I learned was that if I were to go back to solely using Canon in the long run, none of the current 150-600mm lenses, which would be the nearest FoV match for the Fuji 100-400mm, would be any good for my uses due to their minimum focusing distances. There were quite a few occasions when I struggled to get far enough away from smaller subjects with the Fuji's 1.75m minimum distance, so the longer minimum distance of the Sigma and Tamron 150-600mm lenses would have been frustrating.

Overall I didn't really find any issues handling the 100-400 in use, although when I figure out which camera system I'm sticking with and get a lens of as similar size I may need to spend some time working out whether to get a bigger bag for use when taking it out with me as I couldn't put the lens in my messenger-style bag with the camera mounted (well, not unless I could live with the body poking out of the quick access zip...)

I'm not sure about the 1.4x TC... I only ended up using it for about 60 shots, and only about 10 of those were any good as record shots (user error rather than any issue with the TC). If I were to buy the Fuji 100-400mm and be buying it new, I'd probably go for one of the bundles with the lens and TC as they only appear to be about £150 more than just the lens itself but if I got the 100-400mm second hand I'm not sure I'd be overly fussed about the TC unless I found an absolute bargain 2nd hand, as I'm not sure it'd be used enough that I might not just be better off putting the money towards a newer Fuji body and cropping.

So the experience has given me some food for thought going forwards, although by the time I have the money to be able to think about actually purchasing I'm sure the situation will have changed again

2. cerebros

I've decided I'm making a full switch over to Fuji. My Canon gear has served me well over the years but having a camera that I can easily carry about with just one or two lenses, barely noticing it's there when I'm not using it, or that I can easily squeeze into a non-camera bag when I'm out and about means the 5D Mk II hasn't had a massive amount of use over the past few months. In fact, I think the only times recently I can recall reaching for the 5D Mk II first have been when I thought I'd need flash and that's not going to be a factor in the future as I picked up a Godox TT685 over the Black Friday weekend.

Since my last post I've also picked up the 23mm f2 and 80mm f2.8. I hadn't been sure about getting the 23mm so I'm quite surprised about how much I like the field of view, although on occasion I still find I could have done with something a tad wider. I do wish I'd managed to find time to do more research before buying as I wasn't aware that it is a bit soft close up (where I often use it, taking photos of the kids) and might have waited to find a good deal on the f1.4 which I understand is better close up. That might be a case of hiring the 1.4 at some point to compare it and see if I want to switch.

I haven't had as much chance to use the 80mm yet, with my prime macro season usually being the summer when I can half keep an eye on the kids in the garden while I photograph flowers and insects. From my limited experience so far this is the first lens where the focus by wire is a little bit of an issue. With my Canon 100mm macro I just set it to 1:1 and then move backwards and forwards until the subject is in focus (or has flown off...). With the Fuji 80mm it'd be better if when you start reaching the macro magnifications in manual focus mode, the focus distance bar switched to show what reproduction size you're at as I'm often pondering what scale I'm at.

Scphoto and Done_rundleCams like this.
  3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Enjoy! I picked up a mint used X-H1 with grip and it is very close in handling to a DSLR. I'll not change away from my Canon gear but the X-H1 is much nicer to use than the X-E2 that I bought as the base for a lighter system.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  4. cerebros

Well odd as it may sound, while my 5D Mk II definitely feels better in my hand than my X-T1 due to having a proper grip (not sure the slight bulge on the X-T1 really counts), in actual use I don't find it makes a massive amount of difference once I'm concentrating on the shots (rather than thinking about how my ring and pinky fingers aren't actually touching the camera)

Done_rundleCams likes this.