1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuji-curious

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by cerebros, Jan 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. cerebros

cerebros Well-Known Member

Well I ended up giving the 100-400 and 1.4x TC a go a couple of weeks ago.

As the missus and her sister decided to arrange a family visit to Twycross Zoo on the same weekend the missus was supposed to be running a half marathon at Clumber Park, I decided to rent the 100-400 and the 1.4x TC as it seemed like . (I was also going to rent the 16mm f1.4 but that wasn't available from the first place I tried to rent from. The place I did manage to rent from was charging more for the rentals and so couldn't justify the additional cost of renting the 16mm, somewhat fortunately as the missus had to pull out of the half marathon and we ended up going somewhere I wouldn't have made much use of it).

The first thing I learned that weekend was that I still can't seem to mentally switch which way to turn the zoom ring when using the Fuji gear. Despite it being the system I've used most over the last year, half the time I still seem to fall into default Canon user mode and turn the zoom ring the wrong way...

The second thing I learned was that if I were to go back to solely using Canon in the long run, none of the current 150-600mm lenses, which would be the nearest FoV match for the Fuji 100-400mm, would be any good for my uses due to their minimum focusing distances. There were quite a few occasions when I struggled to get far enough away from smaller subjects with the Fuji's 1.75m minimum distance, so the longer minimum distance of the Sigma and Tamron 150-600mm lenses would have been frustrating.

Overall I didn't really find any issues handling the 100-400 in use, although when I figure out which camera system I'm sticking with and get a lens of as similar size I may need to spend some time working out whether to get a bigger bag for use when taking it out with me as I couldn't put the lens in my messenger-style bag with the camera mounted (well, not unless I could live with the body poking out of the quick access zip...)

I'm not sure about the 1.4x TC... I only ended up using it for about 60 shots, and only about 10 of those were any good as record shots (user error rather than any issue with the TC). If I were to buy the Fuji 100-400mm and be buying it new, I'd probably go for one of the bundles with the lens and TC as they only appear to be about £150 more than just the lens itself but if I got the 100-400mm second hand I'm not sure I'd be overly fussed about the TC unless I found an absolute bargain 2nd hand, as I'm not sure it'd be used enough that I might not just be better off putting the money towards a newer Fuji body and cropping.

So the experience has given me some food for thought going forwards, although by the time I have the money to be able to think about actually purchasing I'm sure the situation will have changed again

2. cerebros

I've decided I'm making a full switch over to Fuji. My Canon gear has served me well over the years but having a camera that I can easily carry about with just one or two lenses, barely noticing it's there when I'm not using it, or that I can easily squeeze into a non-camera bag when I'm out and about means the 5D Mk II hasn't had a massive amount of use over the past few months. In fact, I think the only times recently I can recall reaching for the 5D Mk II first have been when I thought I'd need flash and that's not going to be a factor in the future as I picked up a Godox TT685 over the Black Friday weekend.

Since my last post I've also picked up the 23mm f2 and 80mm f2.8. I hadn't been sure about getting the 23mm so I'm quite surprised about how much I like the field of view, although on occasion I still find I could have done with something a tad wider. I do wish I'd managed to find time to do more research before buying as I wasn't aware that it is a bit soft close up (where I often use it, taking photos of the kids) and might have waited to find a good deal on the f1.4 which I understand is better close up. That might be a case of hiring the 1.4 at some point to compare it and see if I want to switch.

I haven't had as much chance to use the 80mm yet, with my prime macro season usually being the summer when I can half keep an eye on the kids in the garden while I photograph flowers and insects. From my limited experience so far this is the first lens where the focus by wire is a little bit of an issue. With my Canon 100mm macro I just set it to 1:1 and then move backwards and forwards until the subject is in focus (or has flown off...). With the Fuji 80mm it'd be better if when you start reaching the macro magnifications in manual focus mode, the focus distance bar switched to show what reproduction size you're at as I'm often pondering what scale I'm at.

Scphoto and Done_rundleCams like this.
  3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Enjoy! I picked up a mint used X-H1 with grip and it is very close in handling to a DSLR. I'll not change away from my Canon gear but the X-H1 is much nicer to use than the X-E2 that I bought as the base for a lighter system.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  4. cerebros

Well odd as it may sound, while my 5D Mk II definitely feels better in my hand than my X-T1 due to having a proper grip (not sure the slight bulge on the X-T1 really counts), in actual use I don't find it makes a massive amount of difference once I'm concentrating on the shots (rather than thinking about how my ring and pinky fingers aren't actually touching the camera)

5. cerebros

Ok, contrary to my last post I've decided I do actually need to do something about the grip...

Don't get me wrong, in typical day trip mode where most of the time the camera is just being supported in the hand, bringing it up and using it for a quick snapshot still doesn't make much difference handling wise. However, a couple of months ago (apologies, have meant to post an update here before now but as usual I've got lots of projects on the go and keeping on top of them is pretty much impossible) I was out in my garden trying to get a picture of the local robin with my 100-400. As I was holding the camera in a state of readiness to aim and shoot once I spotted which side of the garden it turned up on, I was holding it in a normal kind of grip for an extended period, and boy did my right hand ache once I was done.

So, to that end, I'm definitely going to need to ensure I bulk out the grip somewhat when I'm looking at my next body.

I'm still not quite sure what my next body* will be as I need to get round to selling off my Canon gear to finance it plus a lens (or two), as I need something to cover the wide end of things. If I hadn't recently started shooting more video I'd probably have plumped for a used X-H1 for the bigger grip (which hadn't particularly impressed me the first time I'd handled the camera but after shooting a few shots with the X-H1 and the XF 200 f2 at this year's Photography Show felt a lot better in the hand than I recalled) but I'm a bit torn at the moment as to whether to go X-H1 or X-T30 for the better video and try and bulk out the X-T30's grip somehow... (I don't think I'll have enough for an X-T3 plus grip as well as a lens or lenses once I've sold my Canon gear).

*Planning to keep the X-T1 as a spare/backup body, a) in case something goes wrong with the main and b) so I can go shoot something else if my main body is set-up and shooting a timelapse (as I could have done with back in May when the only other camera I had with me was the 5D Mk II with the 16-35, not much use when I needed something to slap the Fuji 100-400 on...)

6. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Have you tried or considered a monopod?

7. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

If the UK is like Canada, there should be a screaming deal on the X-H1 which includes the VG/BP along with 2 free batteries (at Jessops -https://www.jessops.com/p/fujifilm/...h1-battery-grip-and-2x-extra-batteries-143098 )
    and we've had more than a few customers come in to partake on this deal :). As well, I saw on their (Jessops) site where they doing a trade in deal
    for X-H1 :)

Cheers,

Jack

8. cerebros

I should clarify that it was in my hands but resting on my lap.

That said I do have a monopod, somewhere. Somewhere being the operative word as I need to figure out where it is (along with quite a few bits and pieces that've gone missing while we've been decorating the lounge)

9. cerebros

Unfortunately my budget is rather tight, whatever I can sell my Canon gear off for has to pay for a body and two lenses. Spending that much on a body would probably eat quite a bit into the money for one of the lenses I want.

And if I'm honest, if I were going to spend that much on a body, I'd probably rather wait until the the next batch of Fuji offers and see if anyone's doing the X-T3 with the grip "free" as well as cashback from Fuji (believe Wex in the UK was doing that in the last or last bar one lot of offers)

Although I might end up selling the VG/BP if I ended up getting one in a deal... I got the one for the X-T1 but at present it doesn't see an awful lot of use. It's basically something to attach a quick release plate to to try and make it easier to locate the quick release plate when I need it. Granted, that might be because keeping it on the X-T1 makes it too bulky for having in my messenger bag.

I think that's a Fuji thing, in the UK at least, where they do a £100 bonus on top of trade-ins. I've seen it on a few UK retailers' websites.

They also do 0% interest for various numbers of months (took advantage to get 2 years interest free on my 100-400mm). But at the moment with my various other bills I'm trying to not take on any more ongoing payments.

10. Done_rundleCams

This might be of assistance, there's several used XT-3's and, at least, one XH-1 at LCE ....

https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Secondha...e=Compact+System+Cameras&Location=&Results=48

Cheers,

Jack

11. cerebros

Hi Jack

Yeah, I'm aware of LCE. I've also got price alerts set up for both new and used gear on the models I'm interested in at https://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/ (annoyingly LCE don't participate for new gear so I have to check their site manually) which catches a lot of other UK retailers.

But at the moment my timescale is:
    1) get next holiday out of the way
    2) make sure I've rounded up all my Canon gear
    3) sell Canon gear
    4) look for best deals
    5) buy

12. Done_rundleCams

13. cerebros

Too late for that... Back in the last round of cashback there was a point where the 10-24 f4 was only about £50 more than the lower end of used prices, once you factored in the available cashback... Well and truly kicking myself then for not having got round to offloading my Canon gear sooner, although to be fair, there were external factors that stopped me finishing off some projects I wanted to use the Canon gear for before I sell it on.

14. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Thereby lies the problem, superb as the Fujis are, there are some things that a dslr seems to be more suitable for.

15. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Fortunately Fuji know this perfectly well and take this very seriously, and are not just trying to catch up. but to move ahead.
    In some aspects they are well in advance.
    It will be a few more years, perhaps, before people will wonder how DSLR's managed to hang on as long as they did.
    But some Sports and BIF work seems to be the preserve of the DSLR for the time being.
    There is nothing wrong with that.

16. Done_rundleCams

I know what you mean, C_B, I have had that happen a few times where I thought I was safe, kit wise,
    and then, voila, D@mn, that price is too good :(

;)

Jack